xen-shell problems

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by macca, Dec 10, 2006.

1. macca

macca New Member

Hi everyone.

I've followed the excellent guide for xen management: http://www.howtoforge.com/xen_tools_xen_shell_argo

Basically, I'm having issues with xen-shell specifically - xen-tools and argo seem to work great. When I ssh to the xen host box and log in with the created user and password, the screen session is visible for less than a second and then closes and ends the ssh session. I have attempted to set this up on several xen boxes running Debian and Ubuntu without success – the same error. I am not sure if there may be a permissions problem with the default modes of screen or /dev/pts. I have followed the instructions to the letter and cant see much in the logs.
    I am wondering if others have ever experienced this symptom / problem. I have been unable to find a solution after an extensive online search.

I would love to get xen-shell running as it seems to be a great tool / solution.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Does your user have /usr/bin/xen-login-shell as shell in /etc/passwd? Is there a virtual machine that is named exactly like the user? IS the user listed in /etc/sudoers?

3. macca

macca New Member

Thanks for the reply. I've sorted the problem. I emailed the xen-shell developer (Steve) and it would appear that "-" is not a supported character in usernames created for use with xen-shell. Steve said he would update his documentation and include "-" as a supported character in the next release.

Perhaps you could add this to the howto? It may prevent others being baffled over something so simple.

Cheers,

Macca

4. muko

muko New Member

Hi all...

I need to add some commands... Do you know how I can do?

Thanks!

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What exactly do you want to do?