How To View Website Using The IP

Discussion in 'General' started by tchubb, Jan 31, 2007.

1. tchubb

tchubb New Member

hi
    my ispconfig is on my home network and want to know how to view website by using the ip i think its something like http://IP_ADDRESS/~*****

anyone know ?????
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

chubb:

2. Craig

Craig New Member

So you mean ISPConfig is on your home network and that you use some sort of dynamic DNS service to make available outside your network but you need to access it from inside the network, which means the dynamic DNS doesn't point to the right location because you can't go outside to come back inside to make the IP pointed to by the dynamic DNS service valid?

If that is the case, you should add an entry in the hosts file on your system that includes the domain name of the site you want to access that is inside your network and the NAT IP address that the internal server is at.

Or, if you are running a local DNS server inside your network add a DNS entry to that to point to your internal network.

3. tchubb

tchubb New Member

Thanks for the reply but ......

bit of a newbe with dns could you talk me throught how to do add the correct dns entry :eek:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

5. 0xCAFEBABE

0xCAFEBABE New Member

Hi!

I really need to be able to access one of my web site by its external IP address instead of its FQDN. The site in question already has a dedicated public/private ip address but each time I try to access it by its external ip adress I get the default shared ip page.

Would it be possible to specify a different document root for a specific private ip instead of the default one (/var/www/sharedip)?

Or any other hack to would let me do this?

Thanks

Christian

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please look at the link that falko posted above, it does exactly what you needs to access this site.

7. 0xCAFEBABE

0xCAFEBABE New Member

Not quite! This is only useful to access web site internally without having to use a DNS system. I want to access one of my web site externally by its ip address!

Christian

8. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Try this one for fun.

in the hosts file add:
    Code:
    85.10.207.148 www.yahoo.com

Exit your browser, and start it again to make it read the new hosts file

Now enter www.yahoo.com :)

As you can see.. it's not only for internally

9. 0xCAFEBABE

0xCAFEBABE New Member

Yep I know that!

But I should have mentioned that this is a requirement from a third party payment gateway and obviously I don't have access to their "hosts" file ;)

This solution is only good for workstations on a LAN that you control and not the whole Internet...

Thanks anyway

Christian

10. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I see...

Here you are talking about that YOU need it..

I guess an option might be a .htaccesss file in the default website dir set for the "third party payment gateway" IP, and to redirect it to the correct place / path.

Not sure how this is done (if possible at all)
    If it's possible, than the "third party payment gateway" needs to have a fixed IP!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007