New virtual everything tutorial proposal

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by browngb, Feb 25, 2007.

1. browngb

browngb New Member

I have been thinking alot about the tutorials that show how to give different services mysql backends, like Postfix, ProFTPd, etc. What I would like to do is to make a new tutorial that's current (latest programs) that rolls all of these into one. The programs I'm interested in it running are:

Apache 2
    Postfix 2
    PHP 5
    MySQL 5
    Dovecot
    ProFTPd or PureFTPd
    Spamassassin
    ClamAV

What I would like to know is what issues I could run into that I should be aware of with this setup. The first I know is that the latest Postfix won't have the quota patch listed in the virtual users and domain howto for Debian Sarge. Is there an update to this patch? Second, which is the preferred FTP server, Pro or Pure?

My intent is to make the how to to install all of these programs into one DB. This way, a webbased frontend (like ISPConfig) could be used to manipulate the database and admin the system. The last piece I'm still looking into is controlling domains for Apache through mysql. If you know how that could be done, please let me know.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would recommend to use postfix together with maildrop instead of postfix with the quota patch. The maildrop solution works also completely out of the database but it needs no patches and you can use postfix from your linux distribution which is easier to keep up to date.

I'am currently writing on such a setup for ISPConfig 3 which is completely SQL based.

I'am searching for this too but I did not find any acceptable solution, so ISPConfig 3 will use files in this area.

3. browngb

browngb New Member

Well you certainly peaked my interest! What are the programs you're planning to run with ispconfig 3?

I'm not familiar with maildrop. Is it courier only? I'm looking at Dovecot and it supports quota, but I don't know exactly what that'll get me. Want to educate me on the differences between quota in postfix, courier, and dovecot? Thanks.