Custom database names and usernames

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by kcackler, Feb 28, 2007.

1. kcackler

kcackler New Member

This is my biggest issue with this great program right now. I have several MySQL databases, and trying to keep them all straight has become a huge hassle (I've actually printed out a chart to keep them straight). I know that the argument for not allowing custom names is that a user could choose a name that has already been taken. Well how about this then:

If a user wants a database called 'forum' and their username is 'john' then create this database 'john_forum'. Same for database users. This eliminates the fear of creating duplicate databases, since usernames all have to be unique.

If that isn't possible, then how about adding another field to each database, called 'Description' or something similar, where we can at least write what the database is for.

Ultimately, I would really like to see custom names implemented, as it is something that I really miss.

Just my .02
    Kevin

2. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

I second this RFE:)
    It should be possible to have a fixed part (web<nn>_) and a variable part. The variable part could be set when creating a db.

My .01 ct.

3. kcackler

kcackler New Member

Another option - and one that probably won't be considered - is to somehow give each user their own installation to work with....

I know that's not a good explanation, so let me give an example:

At dreamhost.com, somehow users are given separate MySQL instances to work with. Instead of using 'localhost' as the hostname, users use mysql.theirdomain.com as the hostname. This allows them to use any database name that they wish, since their installation is somehow separated from other users.

I would be happy with just having user_dbname...

4. mccharlet

mccharlet Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi kcackler,

Are you find a solution?

I want to make the same thing

Thanks

5. Agosto

Agosto New Member

The fact of all the user names and databases use the same rule of creation, also seems a security problem. A user can "guess" 2 of the 3 informations that he needs to use a database. He only needs to discover the password.
    This showld be an option to use "fixed" database and user names or let the user choose it.

6. mccharlet

mccharlet Member HowtoForge Supporter

there are no solution?