username and e-mail address

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jorge, Mar 6, 2006.

1. jorge

jorge New Member

Hello

I know that the users you create with ispconfig are system users, but....
    Is there a way to login to ftp sesion or webmail using the e-mail address instead of a "web1_something" username?.

Example:
    If you have an email address like [email protected] you can log into webmail or ftp using....

username: jorge or [email protected]
    passwd: *********

Thank you

Jorge

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi Jorge,

no, thats not possible because system users can not have an @ in the username.

3. wispman

wispman New Member

Can someone explain why this is not possible, because I use a website that is hosted with Vdeck panel, and everyday I can login to FTP or webmail or pop3 email using my full email address as my username (including the @).
    I am testing out a few panels to host some sites and I like ISPconfig, but this 'web1_' prefix nonsense is just about enough to make me choose something else. At least can't we change it to a user_domain.com suffix or something?
    Thanks!

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is not possible because linux does not allow @ signs in usernames and ISPConfig uses linux users.

The web1_ prefix is no nonsense at all, some major commercial controlpanels use the same syntax to separete system users. You can disable it or use the domain name as prefix. Thats all described in the manual.

Sur you can, but you will have to change the ISPConfig sources for this. The sourcecode is in the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/plugins/ispconfig_username.plugin.php

5. wispman

wispman New Member

Thanks Till,
    I don't know how you guys are able to do it, but the level of support direct from the developers is one big advantage with ispconfig.

I have modified the ../ispconfig/lib/plugins/isp_username.plugin.php to implement user suffixes. Seems to be working fine, not extensively tested yet. For those interested, here's the modifications

move the underscore in the system config settings eg. _[DOMAIN]

6. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Bear in mind that some (older) *nixes limit the recognition of users stored in /etc/passwd by the 1st 8 characters. Using suffixes might bite you if you have users "alongusername_web1" and "alongusername_web2". These users will be identical for all system utilities like ssh, ftp.