How can you correct an incompatible kernel on a Fedora installation CD?

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by gnagent, Mar 16, 2007.

1. gnagent

gnagent New Member

I'm new to Fedora and linux. I'm trying to install Fedora Core 6 on a Compaq DL360. There is a known issue with the built-in Compaq SmartArray device. It appears to be fixed in kernel 2.6.21-rc3. Unfortunately, Fedora Core 6 is built with 2.6.18.

The solution appears to be to get rid of the sym53c8xx driver from the kernel, since my DL360 does not need it anyway. So, my question is, "How can I create a 2.6.18 kernel without this driver, and, if I had such a kernel, what file would I replace on the Fedora Core 6 Installation Disk 1 CD so that I could install without loading this driver that is preventing my hard drive from appearing in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

P.S. In case it wasn't clear, yes, I can't even install Fedora because the sym53c8xx driver makes my hard drive unavailable. I'm willing to install some 2.4-based distribution (if someone could point me at one) if that would let me somehow compile a 2.6.18 kernel that I could get onto a CD so I could wipe out the 2.4-based install and get to a current Fedora Core 6 2.6.18-based one.

-- Dan

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you can't get Fedora installed, I think you should try another distribution such as Ubuntu. Everything else will be very hard to accomplish...

3. gnagent

gnagent New Member

Thanks. I've tried ubuntu. It's got the same problem. The only solution I've found is to use a 2.4 distribution. I got Debian going. Works fine. Not sure if it's worth trying Fedora anymore. Eventually some kernel later than 2.26.20 will get into the distribution and my machine should install.