how to view site on local network

Discussion in 'General' started by webdev316, Mar 31, 2007.

1. webdev316

webdev316 New Member

Hi:

This may sound like a retarded question but I'm new with ISPconfig and linux. I have installed Ubuntu 6.06, and ISPConfig successfully on a separate box on my local network. I'm just using it for developing purposes. I created a site in ISPConfig with the following settings:

Server: Server 1
    Hostname: www
    Domain: a.projects.org
    IP Address: 192.168.1.200
    Create DNS: 0
    Create DNS-MX: 0

I can ftp files to the site with no problems. If I open a web browser and just put in the ip address I get:
    " This IP address is shared. For access to the web site which you look for, enter its address instead of its IP."

What am I missing? I've tried just a.projects.org but I get nothing. Based on the settings above, what do I need to type into my browser to access the site?

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Add the IP and domain to the hosts file of the PC that you are using to access the site.

In Windows the hosts file is located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

3. webdev316

webdev316 New Member

Ok, I added the ip along with hostname to my host file in windows. I am now able to type in the "a.projects.com" in my browser and it does go to my server. However I'm still getting the Shared IP error. I think I'm missing something in ISPConfig or something on my server. Do I need to update my hosts file in ubuntu?

4. edge

did you add "a.projects.com" to ISPconfig, or only "projects.com"?
    If only "projects.com", login on ISPconfig, go to ISPmanager > projects.com > Co-Domains > New and add in hostname "a" and in domain "projects.com"

If you want to access "projects.com" from the PC than you will also need to add the IP and projects.com to the hosts file

5. webdev316

webdev316 New Member

that did it. Thanks edge

6. edge

You are welcome.