Confusion

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by rapid1, Mar 23, 2007.

1. rapid1

rapid1 New Member

OK I downloaded the newest MANDRIVA free ISO's burnt them to CD's and put in CD1. I set the BIOS to boot to CD only then boot (I have already setup a Linux Drive and a swap drive with booitNG). When I boot it says BOOT TO CD: two times then tells me it can't, to insert a boot disk and press enter. The CD is a BOOT disk why can't I get to the setup? By the way (if this shed's any light on this) My System is a DFI Lanparty MB 2 gigs DDR 400 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Soundblaster Live ATI pci express X1650XT 256MB 550 watt PS and a WD SATA 160GB main drive.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. Leszek

Leszek Member

You should try other methods for booting a Linux system just to figure out the problem,for example: try to boot from a floppy image (if you have a fdd). The image and info what to do with it should be on your Mandriva CD.

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

How did you burn them to cd? Did you just add the .iso like a normal file or did you select "burn from an image" or something like that?

4. rapid1

rapid1 New Member

How I burnt it

I used ISO recorder as suggested on here in another forum. The data is there I can see it when I tell it to install it runs and runs opening and setting up programs but never asks me where to put them or to format partitions or what partitions to use and ends like it's done something but it hasn't I really can't figure it out at all I can browse the CD's in 7-zip everything is there and I even tested it it says the software is stable *shrug*

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'm thinking, too, that you used the wrong option to burn the iso image to CD...

6. rapid1

rapid1 New Member

well

How should I burn it then, and just for suggestions is Mandriva a decent edition. I really got it because I had used Mandrake before and found Mandriva instead. I just want a full featured edition with all the bells and whistle. :rolleyes:

7. falko

As sjau suggested. Unfortunately I don't know your burn program. :(

Mandriva is quite good, but I think Ubuntu is even better. Mandriva's my number two for desktops.

8. rapid1

rapid1 New Member

Agrivation

Hey Falko I took your suggestion and tried Ubuntu with the exact same results. I don't get this when it tries to boot to the CD it always just locks up. Does it matter that I am installing to a serial ata HD? I formatted my patition and share already as well if that matters I'm just at a loss here! :D

9. falko

Most modern distributions shouldn't have problems with SATA hard drives.

10. rapid1

rapid1 New Member

further confusion

Well I've tried Ubuntu and Mandriva two version's with the same results????????

11. falko

Maybe you should try another burning program? I still have the feeling that you use the wrong option to burn the CD...

12. rapid1

rapid1 New Member

What do you suggest???

Which burning program/method do you suggest?

13. falko

If you're on Windows: I think Nero and EasyCD Creator are good.