Postfix/Courier Mail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by section8, Apr 5, 2007.

1. section8

section8 New Member

Hi There,

I have followed this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier

and very closely I believe.

I started with having issues with logging in with a pop3 client. I got "-ERR Maildir no such file or directory". I finally came across a comment saying to create this directory: /home/vmail/mydomain.com/username and then create a maildir in that directory using maildirmake Maildir in that directory and changing ownership to vmail:vmail.

So that fixed that problem but instead now I get: -ERR Maildir invalid (no 'cur' directory)'

I also found after sending an email to that user, it does not go anywhere near the /home/vmail/mydomain.com/user/Maildir it actually stores the mail in a file called /var/mail/username

Does anyone know what is going on here? I would really appreciate ANY help.

Thanks in advance.

2. section8

section8 New Member

also found this in the /var/log/mail.log:

Apr 5 17:40:20 localhost pop3d-ssl: scancur opendir("cur"): No such file or directory

3. section8

section8 New Member

OK I have solved this.

My mail is saving in mbox format and not Maildir, so sending mail to my account does not auto-generate a Maildir. I had to manually create it at: /home/vmail/domain.com/user/cur & ./tmp & ./new which finally allowed me to authenticate but brings me to another issue.

My mail is saving in mbox format! Why is it doing this ? It is saving in /var/mail/$user

I really don't have a clue how to change this over to Maildir format.

Please someone answer me!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's in /etc/postfix/main.cf?