Edgy Server installation Configution

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by gmaxx, Apr 12, 2007.

1. gmaxx

gmaxx New Member

Help Please: I am attempting to set up an Unbuntu Linux server for the first time and following the "The PrefectSetup Unbuntu 6.10 server documentation." On step 5 which changes IP setting from DHCP to an static address. I can't seem to get pass this point. I enter the command "vi /etc/network/interfaces" which brings up my current DCHP configuration file. I use the arrow key to move the selection I need to edit as indicated in the setup instruction. After editing the file I type "/etc/init.d/networking restart" and nothing happens. And I'm stuck right here. And I am sure I logged on with a su root account which the correct premission to make changes and such. Help Please

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What happens exactly when you execute "/etc/init.d/networking restart"?

3. gmaxx

gmaxx New Member

Linux Perfect server setup problems

After I enter the command "/etc/init.d/networking restart"
    nothing happens the system does not seem to repsond to the command and I can't seem to exit the file. If reboot the go back to view the file no modifications have been save and it's still set to DHCP. :confused:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are you working directly on the system or through an SSH client like PuTTY? If the latter, you'll lose the connection when you change the system's IP address. I think that's why you think that nothing happens. You need to re-connect to the system using its new IP address.