Again: Co/Sub-domain problem

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by DrDon, Apr 24, 2007.

1. DrDon

DrDon New Member

Good evening guys and gals,

i have the following problem:

I own the domain team-hal.de and a dedicated server.
    Both are hosted at Hetzner.
    Team-hal.de is not using it's own nameservers. (nameservers are ns3.second-ns.de and ns.second-ns.de)

The server is running debian etch (The perfect Setup tutorial - Thanks!) and the newest version of ISPConfig.

Now, i want to create some subdomains (they should point to team-hal.de/~drdon i.e.)

So, after what i've read on the forums, i go to my web, click on co-domains, enter drdon as host an team-hal.de as the domain, forward it to team-hal.de/~drdon and hit save.

dont work.

if i enter drdon.team-hal.de in my browser, i wont get a site. just a "Server not found" message -.-

Since i'm kinda new to this, i don't even know if ISPConfig is wholly configured.

i did not enter any Master/Slave DNS under the "DNS Manager" tab - just the default ns1/ns2 under "Administration -> Server -> Preferences"

I dont want to create any new, independent webs for the subdomains - just a forward to the users directory.

The domain team-hal.de is working fine.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

DrDon

P.S.: Don't ask me why i talk so much of nameservers....i just suspect them to be the bad ones :D

2. todvard

todvard New Member

The "drdon" hostname has to be configured in the DNS server as an A record. Ask your DNS provider to do it.
    In the meantime you can test the forward function by adding drdon.team-hal.de to you hosts file (/etc/hosts - in linux; c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts - in windowsXP), but don't forget, by this way it will work only for you.

3. DrDon

DrDon New Member

thank you!

Got it fixed, i can add them myself by editing the zonefiles (dont ask me why i did not found them yesterday ^^)

Now, theres just one question left.

Can i configure ISPConfig to add the A records to the Nameservers itself?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, editing the zonefiles manually is a bad idea as ISPConfig will remove your changes if they are not at the bottom of the file.

You can easily add DNS A_REcords in the ISPConfig DNS-Manager, manual editing is not nescessary.