Reselling Subdomains + Wildcard DNS

Discussion in 'General' started by CeeJayCee, May 9, 2007.

1. CeeJayCee

CeeJayCee New Member

I've been running servers with cPanel for the last 4 or so years and this is the first time I've thought about using ISPConfig. Sorry if these questions are simple!

I want to create a reseller account (abc.com) that will be able to create accounts for it's customers using subdomains of it's domain (blah.abc.com, hello.abc.com). Is this possible with ISPConfig? and if so, how would you go about doing it?

Also, will ISPConfig manage the dns records in such a way that you can access a site with or without the www. prefix? and is it able to handle dns wildcards (for example, if site xyz.abc.com does not exist, it will forward it to abc.com)?

2. CeeJayCee

CeeJayCee New Member

From searching these forums I've found out how to do wildcard DNS and adding the www. prefix (i might script something to add it to all domains in BIND - it would be a good option if we can enable / disable this when creating a domain / for all domains.).

Back to the first question - is a reseller account making subdomains of it's main domain for customers possible?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. But ISPConfig checks the ownership of domains, so all subdomains will have belonng to one customer, even if the y are multiple websites. If you need them on multiple customers, you might have to disable this check in the ISPConfig sources.

4. CeeJayCee

CeeJayCee New Member

Hmm ok, that's not so good. Can you tell me where the check for this is? I'm hoping it just one or two functions rather than a load of code.

Is it possible to make this an option in the future? So that resellers can give clients an account using a subdomain of their own domain?

5. CeeJayCee

CeeJayCee New Member

Okay, I don't normally like replying to my own posts but I think it does actually work.

In the demo account, I made a reseller called ChrisTest and I logged into it and make two clients "ChrisTestClient" and "ChrisTestClient2". I then made two new sites, "www.christest.com" which is owned by "ChrisTestClient" and "hello.christest.com" which is owned by "ChrisTestClient2".

This is what I want to achieve (and it appears to work, in theory) - can someone tell me if this will actually work in practice?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The demo account does not have the restriction that I mentioned above.

7. CeeJayCee

CeeJayCee New Member

Ah ok. Can you detail the steps I'll have to take to remove the restriction?