Which is better?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by bigj, May 3, 2007.

1. bigj

bigj New Member

I would like to try one of the Replace Windows with Linux Desktop tutorials with an old laptop I have. Which is best? I am completely new to Linux.

Also my old laptop has an integrated wireless card. Will there be any issues with getting that to work?

Thanks,
    J

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Well, if you have a bundle of 700 mb CD-RWs then I recommend getting:

K/X/Ubuntu
    Fedora Core
    Debian Etch
    Mepis

And then you try which one works best for you... for me it was/is Ubuntu or rather Xubuntu :)

3. nixen

nixen New Member

I use kubuntu and i in love on it. it's incredibile! my friend with this O.S. see the details of battery recharge of his mouse :eek:

4. bigj

bigj New Member

Wireless

Is there any chance of getting my integrated wireless to work with any of these flavors of Linux?

5. nablaodel

nablaodel New Member

There is an incredibly good chance that will work. I am a new user of linux (about 3-4 months in) and I love it.

I started out with Fedora Core 6 and decided to switch to Ubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10). I've been very happy with the switch and really enjoy Ubuntu. Although I recommend both.

Recently Ubuntu released 7.04 and I have put that on my laptop. It has a lot of improvement in the wireless area. For instance, it added a network manager in the system tray that lets you put it in roaming mode so you can see all available networks.

When installing the wireless card I had to use the NDIS wrapper. This allows you to use a windows driver if the company that makes your wireless card has not written a driver for your laptop's wireless yet. This took me a few hours to figure out how to do but it was time well spent because I learned a lot. At this point I'm sure I could do very quickly. There are many posts on how to do it so I have no doubt you will be able to figure it out.

6. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

It just depends on your wifi card... either ith works out of the box or you'll have to use the ndiswrapper... best is to download some of the live cds and test it out :)