Automatic make web space writeable(?)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ohem, May 16, 2007.

1. Ohem

Ohem New Member

I'm still learning Linux and ISPConfig through the main site and VMWare i currently use. My goal with ISPConfig is to create a free webhost since there isn't any other hosts I'm satisfied with.

I noticed with one of the How-To's on usng Joomla with ISPConfig, my attention got caught with "Step 8" where it says I've to manually make the web space writeable the "chrown" command. This is a problem since it's dependant on me and not on the user from what i understood from the article, shouldn't the directories for the webspace automatically be writeable when a site/"customer" is added?

If not, why not add that as a feature?

2. danf.1979

danf.1979 Member

You can try to use suphp, so the web dir is writeable by the web server automatically. Right now, your problem is that:

Apache runs on www-data (or similar user).
    The web tree is owned by another user.
    You have to manually make some parts of the web home writeable for some of the CMS funcionality (for example, upload dirs)

With suphp, apache runs as the user that owns the executed script, so problems are gone.

Cheers

3. danf.1979

danf.1979 Member

4. Ohem

Ohem New Member

Great and many thanks!

Though i usually search forums in general before asking, but i got stuck with what keywords i should use or spend time being a "good boy" with a high pride challenge myself knowing everything. So i post here in the forums instead of getting lost.