Receiving a lot of spam

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by garfabian, May 17, 2007.

1. garfabian

garfabian New Member

I been getting a lot of spam I have spamassasin setup and scores the email fine but lately been getting a lot of spam is there any configuration that I can do to further trim the spam coming in? using postfix as MTA. Thank you.

2. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can use Razor, Pyzor, DCC for Spamassassin.

As you are using Postfix as your MTA, you can consider to install Postgrey, a greylisting system for Postfix. I have good experience with that.

3. garfabian

garfabian New Member

Thank you I will check these out, I did try getting postgrey up and running but didn't finish it is there any tutorial or how to you might suggest.

4. Hans

5. toyito

toyito New Member

Hi, can i use this guide on an Production ISP serfer???, if so....How?

Regards

Hector

6. Hans

Yes you can, i did it myself :)

7. fireba11

fireba11 Member

also you might want to run sa-update once in a while

8. Hans

You can also update the Spamasassin rules automaticly with a cron job like this:

23 4 */2 * * /usr/local/sbin/sa_rules_update.sh &> /dev/null

9. mlz

mlz Member

Wouldn't this work better?

Code:
    23 4 */2 * * /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/spamassassin/usr/bin/sa-update &> /dev/null
    Using the perfect setup, the distro SA wasn't installed, so I don't have sa_rules_update.sh on my system...

10. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

The best way ro prevent spam is
    1. prevent spam from getting into your mailbox,
    2. have SA work with a good ruleset.

1.:
    This tutorial by falko should server as a good starting point: http://www.howtoforge.com/block_spam_at_mta_level_postfix
    Don't read its config as if it were set to stone. Take your time to find out which RBLs works best for you. In my case the SORBS lists tend to block too much ham (escpecially freemail servers as hotmail, tiscali, ...). Abuseat's RBL is not needed if you use Spamhaus (it's included) and their sbl-xbl RBL shouldn't be used anymore, use zen instead.
    Other tutorials may advise you to use reject_unknown_client. While technically the use of this rule is good you'll run into problems pretty soon, as many servers, even those of global players are often misconfigured and therefore would get blocked.

2.:
    Use RulesDuJour in conjunction with SA to have a good base of rulesets and keep them updated. To use it with ISPConfig's SA, you better do some symlinking, so you do not have to change RDJ's code.

11. timbe

timbe New Member

how would you symlink to include RulesDuJour with SA included with ISPConfig, also how can I add my own Spamassassin filters to run SA with RulesDuJour and make it all global to every client hosted?

12. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The configuration files of ISPConfig's SpamAssassin are located in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/spamassassin/etc/mail/spamassassin, so you must store the rules there.