ISPConfig with squirrelmail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by garfabian, May 16, 2007.

1. garfabian

garfabian New Member

Great job guys been using ISPConfig for a while now just reacently I notice that I wasn't getting mail well I was but not regularly as other days and people starting asking me if I received e-mail from them so not sure whats going on because I do receive some email then I notice the size of my email account is 96 MB decided to start fresh and deleted and created my account in ISPConfig worked fine but now I get this error as soon as I log in using squirrelmail:

ERROR: Could not complete request.
    Query: SELECT "INBOX"
    Reason Given: SELECT failed: Can't open INBOX (file /var/spool/mail/fabiang): not in valid mailbox format

two questions
    1) is there a limit on the size of mailboxes since I know of another account that has the same problem and the same size mailbox? Check the settings on ISPConfig and have -1 on mail size.
    2) How can I fix the error so that I can view my messages using squirrelmail?

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) There is no such Limit. But mbox files generaly tend to get corrupted if they where accessed by several programs at the same time, e.g. squirrelmail and postfix. We generally recommend to use the maildir format as it is resistant agains corruption.

2) Can you read the file with a normal mailclient trough pop3 or imap?

3. garfabian

garfabian New Member

1)if I enable maildir will it affect my current users that are working fine now.
    2) I tried outlook and other webinterfaces, outlook keeps asking me for the password which was working fine until I encountered this problem and all the web interfaces give me invalid mailbox error. The only way I'm able to check my email is through webmin interface that I have install in the server.

4. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Try this:
    Within Outlook, enable SMTP-Authentication in your email client.
    In outlook the checkbox to enable this is named "Server requires authentication".

5. garfabian

garfabian New Member

Yeah I tried that it still doesn't work, I erase my account on ISPConfig panel and recreate it and its still doesnt work through squirrelmail I have a message there but when logged in to squirrelmail it say no messages and also I get this error now:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6291500 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Any help thank you.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to use maildir, you will have to install a maildir capable pop3 and imap server like courier or dovecot first. This will affect of course all accounts on your server.

This error means that squirrelmail tried to allocate more then 67 MB of RAM. This is very unusual, either your email message is so large or the mailbox is corrupted in a way that squirrelmail fails to decode the message.

You can try to set the memory limit to a higher value in /root/ispconfig/php/php.ini and then restart the ispconfig server.

7. garfabian

garfabian New Member

Thank you I got that taken care, After investigating I deleted the account I was having problem with and tried logging into squirrelmail and it gave me access I check the user groups and the username is not found also check the ISPConfig and the username is not there either also check the recycle bin weird how can it still give access to an account that doesnt seem to exists.