Squirrelmail login issue (ISPConfig, dovecot, full username)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ./w, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ./w

./w New Member

Hello all,

I've succesfully installed CentOS 5.0, ISPConfig 2.2.12 with Dovecot and Postfix.
    (almost) Everything is working. I can send/receive emails from various domains (using pop and pops). I'm using full username: [email protected]

I've installed the Squirrelmail package and I can't log in. I've tried using [email protected] and domain.com_user (I've changed web[ID] for [DOMAIN] so I can login with user@domain format string), neither work.

When I try to log in as [email protected] "tail -f /var/log/maillog" shows:

May 16 20:56:52 mail dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login: user=<_domain.com_user>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, lip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, secured

As you can see, there is an underscore as prefix of the domain, which shouldn't be there. I couldn't figure out why is this happening, that's why I'm asking here.

Hope that someone can help me with this.
    Thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This wont work. ISPConfig does not allow usernames with @ inside. It is not enough to replace the webID with the domain placeholder. Please use the username and not the email address for logins.

3. ./w

./w New Member

Till, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.

The usernames for ISPConfig and for the O.S. are like "domain.com_user1"
    I did all that extra configuration so you can have you email client send/receive email using "[email protected]" as the username.
    It's working fine from the email client, but I can't log in in Squirrelmail ("wrong username or password").
    So, there are not usernames with the character '@'.

/var/log/maillog shows:

May 16 20:56:52 mail dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login: user=<_domain.com_user>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, lip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, secured

As you can see, there is an extra '_' that is added at the beggining of the username. I don't know why this happens.
    For what I've read in these forums, if I install dovecot and configure it for "[email protected]" usernames and then install squirrelmail, it should work without any modification.

Hope I was more clear this time.
    Thanks for your help.

4. till

Did you use the squirrelmail package from ISPConfig?

5. ./w

./w New Member

Yes I did.
    Maybe this issue is in this last version, and not in the previous ones ?

6. till

Thats not a bug in the squirrelmail package. The squirrelmial package is for the default ISPConfig installations. You use a unsupported configuration for your mail system and so it might be that packages built for ISPConfig will not work with your configuration out of the box.

I will close this thread now as you have two other threads for the same topic open where already answers are posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.