BackupPC Woln't Backup Hosts.

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by mclayton, May 18, 2007.

1. mclayton

mclayton New Member

Hello Everyone!

I have just installed BackupPC on Suse 10 Enterprise Server and have no luck backing up any of my hosts. In the documentation it talks about how the server finds hosts, using both DNS and nmblookup to resolve IP addresses. I have no luck with the DNS method but when i do a nmblookup I have no problems finding the IP address of the client. But when I request a backup the server will find the correct IP address but then tell me:

"Error: Can't find IP address for matt
    matt is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address. I checked the netbios name of 10.0.1.180, and found that that machine is not matt.

Until I see matt at a particular DHCP address, you can only start this request from the client machine itself.

Whenever I have the DHCP flag set to 1.

But when I have the DHCP flag set to 0, it will ask me if I want to confirm backing up the host, then on my main status page, i get the error: "No Ping Response". I am lost here, and have no clue what is wrong, please help!

Thank You.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If the client is a Linux machine, you can find out its IP address by running
    Code:
    i[B][COLOR="Red"]f[/COLOR][/B]config
    If it's a windows system, run
    Code:
    i[B][COLOR="Red"]p[/COLOR][/B]config

3. mclayton

mclayton New Member

yea... I know. Thank you but that dosn't help me, I know my address, it is BackupPC thats killin me here. Thanks tho.

4. falko

But with these commands you can check if matt's IP address is 10.0.1.180.

5. mclayton

mclayton New Member

That is the thing, that is the assigned IP address to that computer.

6. falko

And what's the netbios name of 10.0.1.180?

7. mclayton

mclayton New Member

Both the computer name for windows networking and the netbois names are matt, I can not even change the netbois name for the workstation. I am about to pull my hair out over this thing, I have heard great things about this program though, that is what is keeping me going on it.