PXE Install Server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by bobbob1016, May 22, 2007.

1. bobbob1016

bobbob1016 New Member

This is the howto: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_pxe_install_server I have two questions,

1) Is it possible to set this up without setting the Ubuntu box as the DHCP server, and without access to the DHCP server? It says to modify the existing DHCP server by adding lines of code, my DHCP server is a router, I can't add code, at least not in any way I know of. I can't setup Ubuntu as the DHCP server, because I use WiFi, and it seems like a lot of trouble just to setup PXE booting.

2) Is it possible to set this up on Feisty? Every Ubuntu machine I have is Feisty, I tried it on one (I disabled the DHCP on the router since I have static IPs and no one else was home, the don't have static IPs, I was able to do this I can't anymore), and the PXE boot said something like "Error 32 TFTP timeout".

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You don't have to configure a DHCP server if there's already one in your network. I cite from the tutorial:

Yes.

3. bobbob1016

bobbob1016 New Member

"If you already have a DHCP server in your network, you must modify its configuration. Let's assume you have something like:
    subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.49;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    }
    in the configuration. You must add

filename "pxelinux.0";
    next-server 192.168.0.100;"
    It says that I have to add lines to my DHCP server, which I can't. My DHCP server is a router, no way to add lines to the DHCP server. I checked in the router's config, and I don't see any way to do this either.

When I tried to set this up under Feisty, the client computer said something like "PXE-32 Error opening TFTP". I did a portscan on my soon to be PXE server, and I didn't see TFTP, so I was wondering if one of the directions had to be changed for Feisty, since I thought Feisty had a new start-up something or other.

4. falko

Oh, right (long time since I wrote the tutorial... :eek: ).
    In this case I'd suggest that you switch off the DHCP server on your router and configure your own DHCP server.

5. bobbob1016

bobbob1016 New Member

I tried it with the router's DHCP turned off, and it still didn't work, I still had the same error. I can't leave it off because if anything goes wrong, even if it isn't Ubuntu, I will be blamed, I don't want the headaches from everyone else here with that. I tried it when no one was home, not sure when that'll happen again.

6. falko

I think I could write the same tutorial for Ubuntu Feisty again. I'll do it when I have some free time. :)

7. bobbob1016

bobbob1016 New Member

Thanks. I don't think that it'd be that different to set it up on Feisty, I just have some specific things that are different than the tutorial says. I can setup an Edgy box if need be, I just can't change the DHCP server. I have one program for XP that I used to start a Breezy PXE boot, without changing the DHCP server. Here's a link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/WindowsServerNetboot