Quick question regarding domain names web folder

Discussion in 'General' started by Fintan Moloney, May 22, 2007.

1. Fintan Moloney

Fintan Moloney New Member

Hi guys, I have just setup ISP config on Ubuntu Edgy Eft by following the excellent tutorials here and had a quick question regarding the location to put my website files. I just wanted to clarify how ISP config deals with domain names and the folders for them.

Am I correct in saying that when setting up a website in ISP config and filling in its domain name etc that ISP config will create a folder for that site and any requests that arrive at the machine for that domain will be mapped to the correct folder accordingly? Therefore I am guessing that if ISP config receives a request for a website and its not setup or a request that maps directly to the IP address of the machine it routes to the default (apache home page) ? I ask this as I have not setup my domain name to point at the machine yet and just accessing the machine by its IP is giving me the Apache homepage.

Just trying to get a better understanding on how it works...

Thanks for any advice :)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes.

No, ISPConfig will create a "Shared IP" website as soon as you've set up your first web site in ISPConfig, and all requests that cannot be allocated to one of the web sites that you set up with ISPConfig go to this "Shared IP" web site which tells the users that they must use the correct domain to access the correct web site.

3. Fintan Moloney

Fintan Moloney New Member

Thanks, that clears up that for me :)