A few bugs?

Discussion in 'General' started by gentoose, Sep 21, 2006.

1. gentoose

gentoose New Member

I have tried to search the forum about this, but didn't find anything... I'm using ISP-config 2.2.6 on debian etch.

#1. When I add a subdomain everything is smooth, but when i delete it, the DNS-entry is still there. It doesn't get deleted. Bug?

#2. The passwords somehow seems to be limited to 8 characters. If I choose a password for an e-mailuser like 'donotcrackthis', i can still log in in both roundcube and squirrelmail with the password 'donotcra' or 'donotcradle' or whatever, as long as it has the first 8 characters of the password. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it something i my installation?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats the intended behavioour. If you delete a website it does not mean that the dns entry shall be deleted too as you may run other services on your server that may need this DNS entry.

Thats a configuration issue, the default crypt algorithm in linux uses only the first 8 chars of a password. Please change the line:

$go_info["server"]["password_hash"] = 'crypt';

to:

$go_info["server"]["password_hash"] = 'md5';

in the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php

3. gentoose

gentoose New Member

Ok I see. But if the customer wants to delete the dns-entry, he has no possibility to do this, or am I missing something? Maybe a choice if you want to delete the dns-entry when deleting the sub-domain would be desirable in the future, at least if it were up to me. :)

Ah... beautiful. Thank You!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Customers don't have access to the DNS Manager, only resellers and the admin.

5. gentoose

gentoose New Member

Yes, that's what I thought. In other words: the customer can create a dns-entry by creating a subdomain, but cannot remove the very same entry that he or she just created. I don't know if this is intentionally by design, but it seems a bit backwards to me. If the customer creates something, it seems reasonable (at least to me) that he or she can delete it, without asking a reseller or admin. At least that is what I would have wanted. Maybe a suggestion for the next version of this great software? :)

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that's intended.

7. ./w

./w New Member

Hi,

I'm using CentOS 5.0, ISPConfig 2.2.12, and I can't get to use md5 (long) passwords. They're being cut at 8 chars.
    I've changed that line (from 'crypt' to 'md5'), and it's still the same.

Help please !
    Thanks.

8. till

After you changed the value from crypt to md5, only new users or users where you eneter a new password will use the new encryption method. Have a look at /etc/shadow, you will recognize that the password hashes look differently.

9. ./w

./w New Member

wow ... this is weird !!
    I thoght I have to reset the password, or even create a new user. I had tried that with no luck at all (in fact, tried many times, I even rebooted the server).

Today (after 2 days) I've tryied setting up a new password again, and it's working just fine with the 'md5' modification (I haven't changed anything more).
    Could it be that ISPConfig needed some time to be aware of that change ? (maybe running some scripts at night).

If that's not the case, then it can be a chache issue or something. Quite strange !!
    Anyway, it seems to be working now.

Thanks Till for your help !

10. jbravo

jbravo Member

What about other kinds of hashes? Can i use SHA-1 instead of MD5?

--
    GreetZ .JbRaVo:.

11. till

You can only use the values crypt and md5 in this config setting.

12. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

deleted, but moved

I did set up a subdomain on one site, but realized that I didn't want it to be a subdirectory of the current domain-directory. So I deleted it.

Then when I try and create a new site with subdomain.tld.com I get a message that the hostname is in use. How do I fix this?

Trond

13. till

Empty the recycle bin.

14. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

Thanks. That did work.

I did check this prior to posting this, but I believe it was empty.

FAQ-material question...

trond