Spam Strategy...No redirect???

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by faraday G, May 28, 2007.

1. faraday G

faraday G New Member

Just wondering why there is no spam redirect guys.

I use ISPConfig because im too lazy to setup vertual hosts for the 2 domains I look after. Its so much simpler and also handles spam and virus protection....very cool proggy.

But one thing that would really polish it off for me would be the ability to redirect spam, instead of just re-labelling or dropping it.

I have a donotreply@ email address I want to redirect all the companies spam too, just in case something extremely important comes along and doesnt go through.

I know I can setup the address up as a catch-all address and it does that, but it also catches the spam from accounts that no longer exist which is terrible.

Is there another way of doing this???

Thanks in advance to those that have the time to help..

PS. Well done devs on a fine piece of warez.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can add a redirect to the spamassassin procmail recipe in the users home directories or to the master template in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/

3. faraday G

faraday G New Member

fantastic.

Now can someone explain what the hell that means lol.

As stated before, I used ISPConfig as its the easy way to accomplish the job, which im all about, productivity.

So if anyone has 5 minutes, please help by elaborating.

4. faraday G

faraday G New Member

another quick one. I have 2 websites that im hosting with 2 seperate spam accounts. It would be great if I could somehow set it up so that everyone in one damain or home directory, is set to send spam to the spam address by default.

Even if I hadto do it manually for every account that would be ok. What I dont want is spam from 2 domains going to the 1 directory.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

There's a .procmailrc file in each user's homedir, e.g. /var/www/web1/user/web1_exampleuser/.procmailrc. You can modify these procmail files, but you should be aware that these changes will be overwritten whenever you change something in ISPConfig. To avoid this, you can modify the template file in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf, or even better (if you use ISPConfig 2.2.13), create a customized template in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/customized_templates/.

6. faraday G

faraday G New Member

Thanks for your help.

Would that work with 2.2.12? PAst experience has often taught me that upgrading often break things, so I decided to wait until I know the system better.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The functionality with the customized_templates folder has been integrated in 2.2.13, so it will not work with 2.2.12.

8. faraday G

faraday G New Member

ok I upgraded to 2.2.13.

Can someone link me to a walkthrough to explain step by step how to do this.

Thanks.

9. falko

Let's say you want to modify /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master. Instead of modifying that file, you leave the file unmodified and put your edited version into /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/customized_templates (-> /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/customized_templates/procmailrc.master). ISPConfig will see that file and use it instead of /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master.

10. faraday G

faraday G New Member

Thanks Falko.

I kinda go that part. I just dont know what I need to put in that file to do what I need done.

11. falko

12. faraday G

faraday G New Member

Hi again,

I figured out how to redirect which is fine, but there is something much better that I would like to get working.

Instead of redirecting spam to a folder in that users em ail directory, what I would like to do is send everyones spam to a seperate email address.

All of our email is imap except for one address which is pop3 (donotreply@...). This address goes to our Firewall/Proxy Server.

Its important that it be a different address because I dont want the user to be able to access this mail. Mainly due to people being stupid and clicking on links that they should not click on.

Another thing, I dont want to have to choose this for every user account seperately. I would like to set it once and every current user as well as every new user will automatically route spam to the donotreply address.

If this is possible, please someone explain it to me like im a 2 year old, maybe even with an example with the code.

I also suggest the ISPConfig userguide be updated with this info. It really is the only way to filter spam without filling up mailboxes with crap, or deleting them and risking something important not get through.

Thanks.
    FG.

13. falko

You'd have to modify the procmail recipes again. You can't use ISPConfig's email forwarding for this because mails get forwarded before they are scanned by SpamAssassin.