which is the Best GUI Linux System Administration tool

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by sussane, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sussane

sussane New Member

Friends,
    Like "webmin" is there any best GUI System administration utility from which i can install/configure services like ftp,www,proxy,firewall ? If yes, which one can i install and try ? Waiting for reply thank you..

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You could install a Linux desktop and then use that desktop's package manager (e.g. Synaptic on Debian/Ubuntu) to install the desired software.

3. xrayolc

xrayolc New Member

every distribution or desktop environment brings own tools to manage system settings and configurations, feel free to try different ones and make your choice ;)

4. Sean

Sean New Member

Hello sussane,

I suppose you are looking for a proxy + firewall that it easy to manage and does not require you to go to the command prompt every time you want to make any changes in access rules or filters. Same situation I was in a few months back.

You should have a look at SafeSquid, which is a content filtering HTTP1.1 proxy and an application layer firewall. Although the product is proprietary, they do have a full featured free edition with no time limit, which I have been happily using. The forum based support, even for the free edition, is quite satisfactory.

The advantage here is that it has a browser based GUI interface that makes it easy to manage, apart from the huge array of features that you may require for proxing and application layer firewalling. You can either use it independently, since it is a proxy + cache + content filter + application layer firewall, or also in conjunction with your present proxy like Squid, since it supports request forwarding, ICP and CARP.

Maybe you should have a look and see if it could help you.

Regards.