ISPConfig + load balancer

Discussion in 'General' started by xtype2, Jul 8, 2007.

1. xtype2

xtype2 New Member

Hi

I know ISPconfig is mainly limited by the server hardware but my aim is to create a server cluster using a load balancer.

Im looking at using a commercial load balancer/traffic manger (possibly ZEUS ZXTM) to manage the traffic and the servers which will have ISPConfig installed.

The load balancer will sit in front of the servers, and theoretically manage the traffic going to multiple servers each with ISPConfig installed, all of which are acting as one and sharing information.

Id like to know if anyone has any experience with this type of setup, and what people see as potential problems.

This type of setup should allow us to add new servers when required enabling us to handle an unlimited number of client accounts... does any one have any advice or comments on this.

thanks

Dan

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. xtype2

xtype2 New Member

thanks for the links, definitely worth looking at.

Does anyone see any reasons why ISPConfig could not work with this type of load balanced / server cluster setup.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As long as you take care that the configuration on all servers is identical, e.g. that you create every website and user identically on all servers or that you synchronize the config files, users and data with e.g. rsync, it should work. At least for the webserver part. But you must be aware that e.g. the statistics will not show the correct results anymore.

5. Drkoop81

Drkoop81 New Member

yess

This is a very similar thing that I want to accomplish. I really want to combine the high availablity how to on a server running like the perfect server with isp config, mail, dns, and all the goodies.

I want to put two servers together with raid 5 on each and make them both exactly the same. One server goes out the other takes over. One drive fails put another one in. All the while running isp config and many hosted clients.

Who has my back on this! :D