Postfix Delays

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by jsanglier, Jul 19, 2007.

1. jsanglier

jsanglier New Member

Hi Chaps!

I have a home server running Debian Etch (thanks to Hans' upgrade post) and ISPConfig, all originally built on Falko's perfect serge setup.

Now, I appear to have a postfix problem.

Sending an email from anywhere lands in postqueue in a matter of seconds.

Then it stays there anything from 10 to 30 minutes.

For example, I checked just now and the 5 mails in the queue were there for 10 minutes before being delivered to the appropriate mailboxes.

I have tried putting queue_run_delay = 60 in main.cf to speed things up and then done a postfix reload, but nothing has changed.

It is not the fastest server out by a long way, but it is also not heavily used.

Any bright ideas?

All the best

Joss

PS: I am technically hopeless, so make it really simple!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are there any errors in /var/log/mail.log?

3. jsanglier

jsanglier New Member

Mail Log

Humm ... anything in particular I should be looking for (Told you I was a novice)

What I have done is sent a message to myself from a google account. IF you wish I have the part of the log from when it was first identified:

Jul 20 15:50:45 server1 postfix/cleanup[18314]: CD9A15EA54: message-id=<[email protected]>
    Jul 20 15:50:45 server1 postfix/qmgr[17026]: CD9A15EA54: from=<[email protected]>, size=2018, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

To, 240 lines and 18 minutes later:

Jul 20 16:08:23 server1 postfix/local[17125]: CD9A15EA54: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=1059, delays=0.5/178/0/880, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)
    Jul 20 16:08:23 server1 postfix/qmgr[17026]: CD9A15EA54: removed

(I have replaced sensitive bits with XXX)

If it helps to see that bit of log in full, then I can email it to you - it is 240 lines and is stuffed with emails, so I don't want to post it, as you can imagine!

However, there are no lines saying "error". During this time there were only 10 emails waiting in the queue

Sorry - I am not being very helpful.

Joss

4. falko

Hm... What's the output of
    Code:
    postqueue -p
    ?

5. jsanglier

jsanglier New Member

Postqueue

Hi Falko

Currently the queue is empty, of course!

I will try again in the morning.

It does empty itself, I haven't anything stuck in there, it just seems to take a long time!

Joss

6. jsanglier

jsanglier New Member

Postqueue

Hi Falko, here is the result of postqueue -p taken at 12:44 BST

-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
    551115E8FF* 2321 Mon Jul 23 12:38:37 [email protected]
    [email protected]

0CEB55E9DE* 3648 Mon Jul 23 12:39:28 [email protected]
    [email protected]

458A75E9E2 2561 Mon Jul 23 10:55:03 [email protected]
    (host mx2.bt.mail.yahoo.com[217.146.188.189] said: 451 Message temporarily deferred - [190] (in reply to end of DATA command))
    [email protected]

-- 9 Kbytes in 3 Requests.

I have replaced the more sensitive email address data with XXXX - I have left he spam addresses!

Joss

7. falko

Looks ok. What'S in /etc/postfix/main.cf, /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts? What's the output of
    Code:
    hostname -f
    ?

8. jsanglier

jsanglier New Member

Ummm - going pear shaped!

Ah, things have changed in the last 12 hours!

The server is going pear shaped. ISPConfig suddenly died, then Apache2 wouldn't start! The box is taking forever to load, and I think there may be hard drive problems.

Strangely, the mail is still working, if a bit slowly!

I am building a replacement server as we speak, using your fantastic howto, of course, so I think my mail problems are now out of date!

Thanks for all your help, Falko, let's hope the new system is a little more reliable!

Joss