Access VMWare machine from host system

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Odysseus, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

Hi there!

I'm trying to install Debian Etch into a VMWare machine, using Falkos tutorial. However, I don't understand how I can access the running VM from te host system via IP. I issued the IP 192.168.2.100 to the VM in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts. My "real" Network in which my physical PC is located is 192.168.2.x, the Gateway is 192.168.2.1. (I'm using a DSL connection via a router).

However, using "ping 192.168.2.100" on the physical computer gets no result. Also, trying to ping *anything* from within the VM gives me "Network not reachable".

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you enable bridged networking during vmware install and selected bridgde networking as you created the VM?

3. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

I'm quite sure I used NAT when creating the VM and still when installing Debian Etch using the NetInstall CD.

Switching to bridged network doesn't help... :(

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Then you must use IP addresses from a different subnet for your virtual machines. What IP address did the VM have when it was configured through DHCP? If you want to use static IP addresses, use IP addresses from the same subnet.