error when creating user: username already exists

Discussion in 'General' started by Ovidiu, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I get the following error when trying to create a new user:

The username is already in use.

That user did indeed exist, I deleted the user, emptied the recycle bin, restarted ispconfig and mysql and still it does not let me create the user again...

any hints?

2. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

Whats the username? does it have the webXX_ prefix?

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

sure, I had a web6_postmaster and a web6_andrei account, I accidently deleted one of them and then thought to delete them both to make them fresh as I had changed some settings affecting users too so I thought why not delete and recreate.

there is for sure no web5_postmaster user, I checked on the console and even using webmin.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Is the user listed in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/users?

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

sorry for the type in my above post. I meant I had web5_postmaster and web5_andrei, deleted both of them, emptied the recycle bin, restarted ispcfg and mysqld and still I could not create them again. now I find both users inside /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/users - shouldn't ispcfg delete the users there when I delete a user in ispcfg?

can I safely delete both users there and recreate them in ispcfg?

6. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Yes you can delete them safely inside /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/users.

And yes ISPConfig should remove them there as well.
    Why it does not, i do not know.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Most probably because these users existed before ISPConfig was installed...

8. robdinardo

robdinardo New Member

Actually...

Actually Falko, I created a fresh install of ISPConfig on an Ubuntu Server. Then created a site dbadmin.domain.com with username web7_dbadmin. I then deleted the user and site and then restarted the server.

The domain still exists... I could not create a site with domain dbadmin.abellgroup.com

I guess an oversight / bug in ISPConfig

9. robdinardo

robdinardo New Member

Opps...

my bad. I was looking at the Recycle Bin under Management. When I should have looked at the recycling bin under ISP Manager