Compile XEN-Dom0 Domain under Debian Etch

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by mbs-systems, Aug 3, 2007.

1. mbs-systems

mbs-systems New Member

Hi,

refering to the following HowTo Doc, I've some questions:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1_p5

If I'm trying to get the Dom0-Kernel to run (Chapter 5.2 / Compile a Dom0 Kernel), I've the problem that the system don't comes up during Boot-Time.
    If I follow strenghly the procedure it is not working.
    I tried as well to create a Dom0 Initrd for the booting sequence. It didnt't help.

Only the Normal XEN Domain is working (Dom0 and DomU togehter). This kernel is the twin XEN Kernel which includes both. This will be created in Chapter where the World will be created.

So what is to to that I get a proper running Dom0, or better that this Kernel
    will boot ? I'm getting stucked now for more that two days without any solution.

It would be very helpfull if someone can help me.
    Many Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Maik

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you have any error messages?

3. mbs-systems

mbs-systems New Member

Hi,

if you have a closer look to the console, you will see:
    BEGIN: Mounting Root File System
    BEGIN: Running /scripts/local-top
    BEGIN: Waiting for root file system......

I followed the procedure in this HowTo. But what will happend if I install
    a system with RAID-1 (mirror), what I want to to as well.
    And I heared from a colleague that if you get the Kernel Dom0 working,
    that the IPtables are not working as expected. For that you have to add all
    the connections under that IP-Tables chain, which you should add as a module.
    In the Howto, there is only described, that you have to add the: Netfilter Xtables support (required for ip_tables) and IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT) for that. But this is not enough, all the particular item, which are under this entry should be marked as well. OK but this is a different problem. But the HowTo is not working in the first time as you can see. We have to modify this.

Many Thanks.

Cheers,
    Maik

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's working perfectly for me, otherwise I wouldn't have published it.

5. thanis

thanis New Member

Which bootloader are you running ? LILO will not be able to boot Xen Kernels !!
    Also, make sure you installed the PAE version of the XEN Hypervisor (check apt-cache search Xen) because the non-PAE kernel will no longer boot on some systems (e.g. Debian Etch in combo with Athlon64 CPU etc ...)

Kind regards,
    Thanis