Dual Boot question

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sdim, Aug 9, 2007.

1. sdim

sdim New Member

Hi,there.Newbie on the block,and I am very interested in learning about the Dual Boot Tutorial I read in the forum.
    Specifically,I have Windows XP SP2 installed on my PC,and I would like to try Ubuntu as well,but the problem is I don't want to re-install XP and Ubuntu from the beginning,besides,I know how to do that but all my work would be lost if I re-formatted.
    So,I read the tutorial about installing Linux OS when you already have a HD with Windows installed.What I didn't get is this:
    Do I have to find the HD drivers so as to install them at a later time? I read that this is only necessary when installing an OS previous to Win XP (like Win 2000,e.g.).Did I understand this right?
    So,does this mean that I can simply run the SystemRescue Disk and run qtparted,and than install Linux,and then I have a PC partitioned with one side having my original Win XP installation(without re-installing!) and the other side having Linux?

Every answer is appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No.

Yes, that's right. :)

3. sdim

sdim New Member

I thank the Moderator (Falco) for taking the time and having the patience to answer me about my (maybe) stupid question.
    3 last questions:
    Do I need to back-up the system first? How can this be done? Is there a free programme for this?

Thank you.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I recommend Norton Ghost for backing up Windows systems. Unfortunately it's not free.

5. sdim

sdim New Member

Thank you for everything.