Fedora Kernel complie for i686

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by Butterbroetchen, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Butterbroetchen

Butterbroetchen New Member

Hi,

Firstly I would like to say thanks for a realy nice howto.

I have a small problem when I try to build a kernel for s specific arch. Using the first method (rpm) I try to do a

Code:
    rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
    And it say that it is setting everthing to i686. But when I do a

Code:
    make rpm
    I get told that it is building for i386. I have changed the Processor type to Pentium M but even if I leave it at the default Pentium Pro it still build for i386 :( What am I doing wrong?

I have also tried to build the second way and if I do a
    Code:
    make ARCH=i686 all
    I get told that there is no Makefile for the arch. So Iook in the /usr/src/linux/arch and there is only a i386 and no i686 folder in there.

So my Question is how do I build for a i686 arch? I have a IBM T41 and it has a Pentium M @ 1.6GHz. So it should work should it not?

Please help.

Thanks

2. sean_zhang

sean_zhang New Member

I have the same problem when building a rpm file of 2.6.22.2 kernel.
    When the rpm file is built, it could only be found in the folder /usr/src/RPMS/i368, but it is supposed to be in the ..../i686 folder.

3. Butterbroetchen

Butterbroetchen New Member

Yes that is exactly what happens with my build aswell...if I install the kernel and do a

Code:
    uname -a
    I get the following:
    Code:
    2.6.22.1_Custom #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 3 10:40:48 CEST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    Note the i686 twice...not sure why there are three archs listed... I get the same from the stock kernel

Seems to me that it is building correctly or not?

Anyone? please