Ubuntu 7.04 with Ispconfig - The URL is not reachable!

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by shellNewbie, Sep 4, 2007.

1. shellNewbie

shellNewbie New Member

I have just successfully installed Ispconfig on Ubuntu Server 7.04 and everything went very well (watching Ispconfig install via Putty was as exciting as watching Die Hard 4!!). The only problem I had right at the end was when the ISPConfig install asked me for my Hostname and domain - I kept getting this error :

The URL is not reachable!

I left the Hostname blank and put the static IP of the machine into the Domain name and got to the end of the install which told me to browse to (mystaticip):81 and I wasn't able to do this. The domain was registered a few months ago with DynDNS.org so my question now is how to change my Domain name and Hostname to what they should be. I am new to both Linux and ISPConfig to any help is very much appreciated.

2. chuckl

chuckl New Member

From your description you have a domain registered, which points to the static IP of your router, which forwards traffic to the server?
    However, if you are working from a 'local' machine on the same network as your Ubuntu box, they will both have 'internal' network addresses e.g. 192.168.0.X or similar, so any attempt to access the static IP will point you at the internet side of the router.
    You need to set up a hosts file entry on the accessing machine to point to the 'internal' address of the Ubuntu box. In Linux/Unix /etc/hosts, in Windows - \Windowsdir\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.
    Additionally, you Ubuntu box should have a properly confiured hosts file and hostname file, as per the Perfect Setup instructions.
    i.e.
    /etc/hostname contents

myserver.mydomain.com

/etc/hosts contents include

127.0.0.1 localhost
    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX myserver.mydomain.com myserver

where XXX etc is the server IP

On your accessing machine add

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX myserver.mydomain.com to the hosts file.

Your ISPConfig setup should have that hostname file hostname as it's hostname, and the local 'internal' IP as it's IP.

3. shellNewbie

shellNewbie New Member

Thanks for your answer.

You are right about being connected locally - I'll do what you said Chuckl and post later if I can get it worked out.

4. shellNewbie

shellNewbie New Member

Router is acting as a DHCP server

A little bit more help if you can chuckl ...
    My router (Belkin N1 Wireless Modem-Router) is operating as a DHCP server (I tried to set a static IP for it and noone on my network could connect to the net ... I think this is because my ISP resets and this is the reason why I got a domain name with dyndns -

I followed falko's howto for installing Ubuntu exactly and it configured DHCP (communicating with Belkin I guess) early in the install - then I set a static IP as per the Howto on my Ubuntu box. WAS this the right thing to do in my case?

Thanks in anticipation.

5. chuckl

chuckl New Member

There's usually no right or wrong in this stuff, just 'does it do what you want it to do?'

A typical home or small business setup would be as follows:

You have a broadband internet connection. You either have a static IP address assigned by your ISP, or use DnyDNS or similar to keep track of any EXTERNAL IP changes.

If you have an assigned iP your Belkin router should be set with this as it's external internet IP address.

On the 'other side' of the Belkin you have your 'private' network. This usually uses IP address ranges that are non routable - 192.168.X.X or 10.10.X.X or similar.

Your Belkin needs one of those addresses to communicate with the rest of your network and to pass internet traffic. It would usually be a fixed address, as otherwise your gateway would change unpredictably, losing you your internet connectivity. Note that this is not the same as the external internet IP.

The unit is also often set up as a DHCP server to assign IP addresses in the non routable range you have chosen to other machines on your private network, and to inform them that it is the gateway etc.

In the case of your server, it also needs a fixed IP, for the same reason as the Belkin - otherwise it's a moving target.

Most modem/routers also have a DMZ machine setting, where you would specify a target IP address for any incoming traffic - web traffic, mail etc., and here you would enter your server IP.

Your other machines can use DHCP or be configured with fixed addresses, makes no difference.

Where the problems occur is when you type the url of a site hosted on your server from a private network machine. Your machine will query a DNS server out on the internet, whic will return the external IP of your router, i.e. the internet address of that website.
    But you are on the private network, so what usually happens is that your Belkin thinks that you want to configure it, and pops up a logon prompt.

To prevent that you use a hosts file entry. The idea is that before issuing a DNS query, your machine will check it's hosts file. If it finds an entry there for the url it is looking for, it will use that rather than DNS. As long as that IP address is the local private IP of the server, all will work as intended.

There are other ways of achieving this with DNS zones, but I think this is slightly simpler.

To put some numbers to it, lets say you are using 192.168.0.X addresses for your network.
    You set your Belkin internal IP to 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP on the Belkin to issue addresses from 192.168.10 to 192.168.0.100, or 200 or whatever takes your fancy, and the gateway address to 192.168.0.1
    Set the server IP to 192.168.0.2, and on the other local machines you edit the hosts files to add an entry like

192.168.0.2 www.mydomain.com

If you have multiple domains on the server, simply add additional entries

192.168.0.2 www.myotherdomain.com
    192.168.0.2 www.yettanothermydomain.com

etc.

Note that www.mydomain.com is NOT the same as mydomain.com, the are 2 entries.

Also note that if you are editing the hosts file on a Windows box, use a command prompt, navigate to the windows\system32\drivers\etc folder and edit hosts with the commandline edit program. i.e. c:\edit hosts
    Notepad, Wordpad and most of the like will immediately add a .txt extension to the filename, and you will spend the next week wondering why it does not work.

6. shellNewbie

shellNewbie New Member

Editing hosts file to access ISPconfig control panel locally

Thank you again chuckl - that last post is very informative.

I edited the hosts file on my windows pc and added this entry

192.168.abc.abc www.(mydomainname).com

(where abc replaces the static IP I gave my ubuntu server)

- I type http://www.(mydomainname).com into my browser - I get to the parent directory of my server machine which contains 3 folders:

Index of /
    Name Last modified Size Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apache2-default/ 21-Nov-2004 06:46 -
    sharedip/ 04-Sep-2007 16:29 -
    webalizer/ 04-Sep-2007 16:11 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.1 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at .www.(mydomainname).com Port 80

-- Inside the "sharedip" folder is an ISPConfig page which says:

This IP address is shared. For access to the web site which you look for, enter its address instead of its IP.

For questions or problems please contact the server administrator.