Linking to ftp user home directory with proftp

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mendoza, Sep 4, 2007.

1. mendoza

mendoza New Member

Hello,

I use proftpd, i don't use ispconfig, i have only few users. system is debian 4.0, proftpd is 1.2.10. i think proftpd is not chrooted.

i'm looking for idea about good way to link other directories from file system (e.g. /var/www/pythonframework to users directory) to user who logs in via ftp.

I tried to use "mount --bind" command (e.g. mount --bind /var/www/pythonframework /home/user/pythonframework) and then i changed permission for directory but when i log in using ftp client (filezilla) i'm not able to access pythonframework directory (filezilla gives error).
    Otherwise i can navigate from command line to that directory and e.g. change name of the file.

I'm looking for something flexible so i can link or dis-link some directories often or when necessary.

thanks for any idea.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you tried to use symlinks. Command syntax:

ln -s /var/www/pythonframework /home/user/pythonframework

3. mendoza

mendoza New Member

I tried this and also changing permission to particular user but filezilla gives (although folder is there with little arrow):

550 images: No such file or directory
    Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

I read that proftp has directives similar to apache directives like "<directory>" or "User" so i'll look at it and i'll let you once i test it.

4. mendoza

mendoza New Member

mount --bind works!

so i had to do something wrong when i did mount cmd.

but now i can see that directory and upload or download.
    correct way was:

/home/user: mkdir images
    /home/user: mount --bind /var/www/images images
    /home/user: chown -R user:user images

I have it from:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ProFTPD