Change Document Root for Ruby on Rails vhost

Discussion in 'General' started by Delphinus, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Hello

I have a well working ispconfig setup, and have recently installed ruby on rails as well.

To get this working properly though the document root has to be set to the public folder.

I have tried multitudes of techniques to try and get this to work without actually changing the document root...
    (for the following we shall assume ~/ is the /webX/ folder
    • Created ~/ruby folder to contain all ruby files, renamed ~/web to ~/web.old, and created a symlink called web pointing to ~/ruby/public.
      Unfortunately ruby looks in the ../ directory for folders such as app. SO instead of looking at ~/ruby/app it was getting ~/app which did not exist.
      Summary - Symlinks do not work
    • Copied all the ruby files, app, scripts, public etc all into the ~ folder and renamed ~/public to ~/web.
      Also tried creating symlink ~/web pointing to ~/public.
      This didn't seem to work either, i'm still digging up whats going on here.
    • Also tried creating an alias ie www.site.com/shop using apache directives in ispconfig. This created weird errors such as index files not loading.

What with the .... fun ... I've been having I'm not going to setting up too many ruby sites, but is there any possible way to change the document root for a single vhost? No files I can hack, lines that can be changed etc?

Sorry for the confusing mess above
    Many Thanks for your time.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not change the document root for a single site in ISPConfig.

3. fareasd

fareasd New Member

Will this be added in future releases?
    If I manually change DocumentRoot in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf. it is working for some time, but then it changes back to default.
    Thank you.

4. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Even if there was a line in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf after which you could make manual changes. Everything before that line is set by ispconfig.
    Or even a Vhosts_ispconfig_custom.conf or something...

5. till

This is possible in ISPConfig 3 alpha. We currently do not plan to add this in ISPConfig 2.

6. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Thanks Till, appreciate it.

I see there are a few 3 alpha releases out, but was wondering if you had a very rough timeframe for a release stable enough for production systems?
    I'd offer to help but probably don't have the required skills yet...

7. till

I expect ISPConfig 3 stable to be available at th end of this year.

We will release a new alpha release next week. If you like to download, test it and give some feedback, it will be great :)

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

That sounds very reasonable...
    I'm sure we can manage that ;)

Time to sort out my dev server ... So much to do so little time ;)

9. fareasd

fareasd New Member

Will it be upgradeable from version 2.2 to 3 stable ?

10. mlz

mlz Member

If I remember correctly, it will be a one-way upgrade, so you'll be able to upgrade, but not return to 2.2.

11. till

There will be no direct update, just some kind of import functionality. ISPConfig 3 need different software then ISPConfig 2.

12. jacobhenry

jacobhenry New Member

How can this be done within 2.3.2-dev?

13. till

ISPConfig alpha and iSPConfig 2.3.1 dev are two totally different software packages. You can not do this in 2.3.2 dev without reprogramming the part that creates the vhost. Have a look at /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php