Where does mail marked as spam go?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by chancer, Sep 20, 2007.

1. chancer

chancer New Member

Is it kept somewhere or deleted?

How can I ensure my mail and just as importantly, my clients' mail, can be inspected to ensure there are no false positives?

The documentation, what there is of it, does not say. The amount of ham I have received over the lst few days is a considerable drop on what I was receiving prior to the installation. Spam is still getting thorough, though not in such quantities as before.

So all the signs are there that filtering is going on, but where are they being filtered to? I am missing mail from tagholders and other correspondents essential to the well being of my business.

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

At the moment I do not have access to my admin area in the ISPconfig server, but as I remember correct, when you selected "Reject", the SPAM is auto deleted.

If you select the other option (again I do not have access to the admin area), SPAM will be marked with something like ** SPAM **, and the email will be delivered to the user account.

The user should / could setup a mail rule in his mail client to filter emails marked ** SPAM ** and auto move them to a "spam" map.

3. chancer

chancer New Member

I'm not sure I understand this. What is the point of having a sophisticated server side configuration if all it can do is point out what even the less capable of today's email clients can work out for themselves? Thunderbird, for instance, is already capable of doing far more than that and very efficiently. I was hoping to be able to offer my clients a way of training a filter on the server, to meet their needs, so spam and spam only gets deleted before they download it.

I would not trust filtration software to delete anything until I am reasonably sure it is going to delete the right things and leave ham alone.

What purpose is spamassassin serving in this set up? Just more bloatware?

OTT, I know, but just trying to spur someone into pointing out what I have missed.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Not all email clients have a built-in spam filter, and many people don't care (or know) about it. Therefore server-based filtering is a good thing.

5. chancer

chancer New Member

I understand the general principle. But am I to risk my responsible clients losing genuine, possibly important, mail in order to protect the half-witted and the uncaring?

Most "a good thing"s I have ever come across are at least partially offset by the bad thing of their unintended consequences.

So, if I tick the Management -> Server -> Settings -> EMail -> Spamfilter: box, will that filter all email accounts, or only those which are subsequently checked in the individual domain email settings?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Only accounts where you enabled spamfiltering are filtered.

7. grant

grant New Member

I hacked ISPConfig to change it to:

• Create a JUnk folder under people's inbox (everyone uses IMAP)
    • Move spam mail to the Junk folder instead of deleting it when Reject is turned on

If anyone's interested, I'll post my changes here.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'am sure that your patch will be useful for others, maybe you can post it in a new thread in the tipps & tricks forum.

9. grant

grant New Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  10. chancer

chancer New Member

Hey, guys, sorry for the late feedback. This one wriggled through a hole without being noticed! :p

Anyway, I think I've got the hang of it, so thanks for all the help. :cool: