Step by step, please

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Christine, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Christine

Christine New Member

I am so new to Linux, I don't know where to start, much less understand what I am reading about Linux.

I have been accustomed to Microsoft since its inception, but because of all the flaws and problems of this operating system, I have been told by my sister to use Linux when I want to go onto the internet.

I had a friend of hers put together a computer for me that includes a partition for Microsoft, and another partition for Linux Mandriva Spring 2007. I have a 22 inch monitor that only Linux Mandriva seems to recognize, so that is why the techie installed Mandriva. This techie is so far above my knowledge of this operating system, that I can't understand some of his instructions.

My problem with Mandriva seems to stem from not having all the 'codecs' that I need. My goal is to be able to know and use Linux Mandriva as well as I know how to use Microsoft, which is not on a techie level.

I attempted to install some plugins for Mandriva and I received an error page as described below:

9/11/07

Installation failed, some files are missing:
    - ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors...007.1.i586.rpm

You may want to update your media database.

Error(s) reported:
    ...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 19

I have no idea what to do. I truly hope you can help me with this matter. Let me know what I need to do, please.

Thank you for any help,
    Chris :confused:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. Christine

Christine New Member

Media database

I guess I want to update my media database?? Geez. Sorry that I am so cryptic, but I am not sure what I need. I cannot play games on Mandriva because I do not have whatever it needs. Let me know how I can be more specific. Thank you.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What is a media database?

Did you take a look at the links I posted? Maybe they contain what you're looking for.