Problem with Beryl...

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by sou1234321, Oct 4, 2007.

1. sou1234321

sou1234321 New Member

Dear Friends,

Though I have a graphics card, and yet after successful installation of Beryl Manager, I can't get the effects!

Even when I try to turn on the desktop effects in System>Preferences>Look & Feel>Desktop Effects, it warns/shows me that it cannot be used...! Why? :confused:

Please help friends...

I use FEDORA 7.

Hardware:
    Pentium D
    ASUS P5GC-MX Motherboard
    1.0 GB DDR2 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200-GT Turbo Video Card (detected by Fedora)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you install the nvidia drivers? They should be available in your package manager.

3. sou1234321

sou1234321 New Member

Thank you, dear moderator. Practically this was the reason why BERYL was not running...! Yes, I saw the effect of BERYL, I don't have any words to describe it... it's just awesome.

Now, I have again run into problem. This is due to my own ignorance. I have installed BERYL & Compiz-fusion both in FEDORA.

For the first 30 minutes, BERYL ran, but now neither the Beryl is working nor the compiz is working. I have not even seen the effects of compiz.

Here are the steps which I did:

1. Application > System Tools > Beryl Manager
    2. The Beryl logo (red emerald) is coming at the top-right part of status bar. But nothing is happening with the water effects, raindrops, etc. But previously (30 minute before) they were working.
    3. Right click on the Beryl logo > Select Window Manager
    But I cannot be able to select the Beryl. Instead either compiz or Metacity is getting selected automatically...!!!
    4. Hence no effects can be achieved...!

The EFFECTS of BERYL DISAPPEARED all of a sudden....!

PLEASE HELP....:confused: :(

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What exactly did you do before Beryl started to fail?
    Have you tried to reboot the system?