The Perfect Server - Mandriva 2008 Free - parts missing

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by zunk, Oct 14, 2007.

1. zunk

zunk New Member

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The tutorial is complete. Why do you think there's something missing?

3. zunk

zunk New Member

In that case there is something I don't understand.

If you look at part 1-3 there are just images with things to do right? It explains how you install Mandriva 2008 correctly.

Then on part 4 it tells you how to config it. But look at this.
    [​IMG]

It begins at number "4 Adjust /etc/hosts", number 1 --> 3 is missing. (either that or there is something i dont quite grasp)

I also assume, since you've in every other step of the process walked us through so thoroughly, that something is wrong when you miss out info like that (ie. login, other steps before etc/hosts config).

Also note that google cache shows the same page. no number 1 --> 3, just begins all of a sudden at 4.

I hope you understand what I mean now. And if it's supposed to be like that and you assume we should login first before hacking away with vi. Tell me!

/ zunk

4. falko

Here you are referring to chapters 1 to 3...

...and here you tell me that they are missing although you've just read them? This is something I don't understand...

Of course you must log in because otherwise you can't do anything with the system.

5. zunk

zunk New Member

Yes I am. PART 1, PART 2, PART 3 is all there.

Although in part 4. Something is missing. If you look at the image I posted, it just absruptly starts at "minipart" 4.

Hmm, forget all that I've said and let me ask one question. It'll probably work out to that I'm just dumb.

After you pressed the reboot button at Page 3 (Part 3) is the first thing you do after that to edit the etc/hosts file?

If that's the case I'm really sorry. But it seems so out of place to just jump into the action after that really nice babysitting stuff (no negative here. It is awesome!) on the previous pages Where you tell us excatly what to do and include pictures on every step. etc etc.

As I said. If etc/hosts is the next step I am to dumb to catch on. And I'm sorry.

/ Zunk

PS. In ie 6, there is a really big whitespace (not in firefox or ie 7) at the fourth page (part 4). That also led me to believe something was missing.

6. falko

Yes, that's right.

That's a strange behaviour, and it's doing the same for me in IE6... :confused: