Internet Bandwidth Management

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by mansoor77, May 28, 2007.

1. mansoor77

mansoor77 New Member

Dear Falko,

Can you help me to setup Firewall / gateway / bandwidth per user basis with time restriction on Fedora Core 6.

my requirments are:

1. User IP assignment with DHCP
    2. Can restict User on NIC mac
    3. Transparent proxy ( no clinet pc configuration )
    4. Bandwidth per user ( like 64k, or 128k ) with time restriction

Regards

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'm not sure, but maybe you can do that with IPCop?

3. mansoor77

mansoor77 New Member

I checked Out the IPcop, but it can be deployed on whole network not single user, and i want to limit user's bandwidth like One user can use 64k and other 128k etc.

Any other solution?

Regards.

4. ShaferLabs

ShaferLabs New Member

I'm looking for the same thing, hopefully integrated with freeradius. Could someone point us in the right direction? Possibly a howto to set up m0n0wall as I have heard this does per-user BW limiting according to radius attributes? How do you get freeradius to output radius attributes to control a throttle? These things are hard to find info about on the net!

Thanks!

5. robd

robd New Member

chillispot

Re monowall: The FAQ says "Retrieval means the variable is present and CAN be used, but there is no action bound to it yet." - I see what you mean.....

You could also try using chillispot. I know that it is for wifi, but you essentially want a captive portal (dhcp and auth) with transparent proxy and rate features. Chillispot uses radius as an auth mechanism which authenticates using MAC or username/password. Chillispot/and iptables rules will allow you to transparent proxy your users and use the radius rate attributes.

You could install all components of the chillispot on one server and put the proxy on that machine too ... I wonder if squid can throttle users too, using radius attributes...?

6. ShaferLabs

ShaferLabs New Member

Thanks Rob, I am already using chillispot, and was unaware that it could do this! I'll look around a try to figure out how. Thanks!

BTW, I'm running a small WISP off a 6Mb DSL line on 4 gentoo servers using DD-WRT on linksys routers. We have a signal range of about 8 miles. I'm just about ready to go online as soon as I get a few things hardened up. It's taken me about 14 months to learn all this!

7. Leszek

Leszek Member

Recently a friend of mine recommended a distribution called NND for a router.It's working for his clients as he is a very small ISP.
    As far as I know it should meet You requirements.
    I don't know it to well yet but I'll have a closer look soon.

8. ghalban

ghalban New Member

all help and wiki are in polish, its really useless