Centos Admin?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by siringo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. siringo

siringo New Member

I'm a Linux newbie and want to learn how to administer a Linux web server. I've just setup a CentOS box following one of the Perfect Setup 'howtos'.

Being a Windows person for so long I am used to working in a GUI environment, but having followed the 'Perfect Setup' (which is very good) I am left with a Linux box with a command line interface.

So I guess my question is, what's the easiest way for me to get up and running on my new Linux box? Can I install one of the Linux GUI desktops? and if I do, can I revert back to a command line interface afterwards?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can do that, but it adds an additional risk and load to your server, so if possible, I wouldn't install a desktop on a server.

You can use the terminal from the desktop, or go to the console by pressing ALT+F2 (ALT+F7 brings you back to the desktop).

3. siringo

siringo New Member

Thanks for the reply Falko. The Linux box is only for test use so I'm not too worried about loading. I found out how to install KDE and start it etc and it is working OK.

Do you have a 'howto' on getting VNC to work with CentOS 4.5?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, unfortunately not...