1 out of 9 domains not getting mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dtrotter, Aug 13, 2008.

1. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

I just rebuild my ISPConfig Server on new hardware and I have run into a wall. All 9 of my domains can send AND receive email except one. It can send ok but it will NOT receive. Messages are getting returned to the server with the error: The recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid.

I have removed the site and DNS, restarted ISPConfig and re-added the site with the same results.

I am running Ubuntu Server 7.10 and the latest 2.X Stable ISPConfig build.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

dtrotter

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please make sure that the site www.domain.com has a co-domain domain.com with empty hostname.

3. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

That is correct - My co-domain has domain.com with an empty hostname.

4. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

Fixed - Problem with ISPConfig and DNS

Here is what ISPConfig created as the domains DNS MX record:
    Code:
      MX      10 hostname.domain.com.

After I changed it to this it started receiving email:

Code:
    mail.domain.com  IN  MX      10 mail.domain.com.

The reason the other domain were working is because I imported the dns records from an older version of ISPConfig from an older server. I think there is an issue with this version of ISPConfig and how it writes DNS Records - or an ISPConfig Setting I need to change so I dont have to manually enter all my records...

Thanks, and cheers!

dtrotter

5. till

There is no known issue with the dns manager. I guess you have the wrong hostname settings under management > server > settings. Make sure that the combination of hostname + domain listed there is really pointing to your server with a dns A-Record.

6. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

That is my hostname, and domain name, which is what is being put into DNS as the MX. but when I host multiple domains shouldnt the mx record be different for each domain? Or, should it be like this:

Management -> Server -> Settings:
    Hostname: myname
    Domain: domain.com

Then the mx records SHOULD read:

MX myname.domain.com

and NOT:

mail.domain2.com. IN MX mail.domain2.com.
    and
    mail.domain3.com. IN MX mail.domain3.com.
    and
    mail.domain4.com. IN MX mail.domain4.com.

ALL domains should have the MX pointing to the local hstname.domain.com?

If that is the case why doesnt it work until I change things and add the additional info in?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. till

The MX record must be a domain name that points with a DNS A-Record to your server. It does not have to be mail.domain.com. Please craete a DNS A-Record for myname.domain.com pointing to the IP of your server and you will see that the MX records will work.