1000 of Mails I dont want ...

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by tom, Apr 7, 2007.

1. tom

tom Member

Im using postfix with ISPConfig. In the virtualusertable I find only entries for wanted mailaddresses.

But I'm getting lots of spam mail collected in /root/Maildir with the recipint addresses like:

Why is postfix taking this mails, it is'nt configured to take it. How can I get rid of this unwanted mails or do I realy need those mailaddresses for something?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I guess these addresses are configured in /etc/aliases. These are standard addresses. At least the postmaster address is required (see http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/aixbman/commadmn/ml_alias.htm ).

If you don't want these mails, you can forward them do /dev/null, e.g.:

Code:
    webmaster: /dev/null
    in /etc/aliases. Run
    Code:
    newaliases
    after your changes and restart Postfix.

3. tom

tom Member

Would id be ok to forward all aliases without the postmaster to dev/null like:
    I'm not sure which adresses are maby used by local demons to send mails but I that case I would be better that those mails are reaching read users like the admin and not root. How do I configure postfix and /etc/aliaces for reaching default mails only for example the [email protected]?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  4. falko

Yes - if you don't need these mails.

Like this:
    Code:
    postmaster:  admin
    (in /etc/aliases).
    This would forward all mails to postmaster to the admin user.

5. tom

tom Member

ok, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  6. tom

tom Member

How can I forward only the intern mail for root but block the exter mail for root?

7. falko

I'm not sure how to do this...