?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by hendri, Feb 15, 2007.

1. hendri

hendri New Member

Hi, Iam new here....
    I installed server with ubuntu 6.06 LTS and VMWare step by step as here in HowtoForge described. My Server(-1) hat processor AMD Athlon and 256MBRam. The system with vmware is not bad but to slow. I will now place the harddisk (ubuntu+vmware) in another PC (Server-2) with better configuration (Intel LGA dual core 2.8GHz and 1GBRam). I know, that can not booting. Somebody maybe can help me to make the harddisk bootable in the Server-2 without new installation? costed 2 days to download. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. hendri

hendri New Member

booooted, but...

I installed new ubuntu in other hdisk(server2) and copy/rename all files from /boot in the other hdisk (Server1). It can booooot, but Network card (onboard) is not detect. Is no plug&play in linux? Some body can help me? Thanks.:confused:

3. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Hendri,

Try giving your thread the next time a better title please.

Just a ? (question mark) does not really help getting an asnwer!

4. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Modern kernel detect a lot of hardware (plug&play). But maybe the NIC on your motherboard is not supported (too old, too new)? Search on the Internet for 'Ubuntu <your NICtypecard>' and maybe you'll find a suggestion. Replace Ubuntu with Debian if you have no luck. LTS 6.06 is maybe too old also. You might wanna try 6.10. (or even the now rather stable beta 'Ubuntu Feisty')

5. hendri

hendri New Member

Hi martinfst,

I have after update and upgrade via internet ubuntu 6.10, first install was from dvd ubuntu 6.06. :) By new install can the onboard network card detected also supported, no problemo. But wenn the harddisk (linux inside) from one pc with other network card (DFE-583TX) is inserted (put in) the other pc, here with onboard network card, can after booting no network card detected - no plug & play.

What is to do, so can the system detect network card in the new pc (new environment, e.g board upgrade)?
    Can somebody help me, please...THANKS...

Sorry with my English, I hope you understand what i wrote.
    <hendri>

6. martinfst

Can you transfer the NIC also to the new system? And just "forget" for now the onboard NIC?

7. hendri

hendri New Member

Nic

Is follow NIC?

VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

MAC:00:18:F3:1F:E6:AD

8. martinfst

Sorry, yes a NIC is a Network Interface Card. Via Rhine II is a NIC. Is this card in your old or new system?

9. hendri

hendri New Member

yes, it is card in my new system...

(old system: D-LINK DFE-538TX)

10. martinfst

Switch the network hardware. Take the D-LINK DFE-538TX from your old system and put it in the new system. I recall having tremendous problems with a Via Rhine II onboard network card. I tried compiling new kernels, fetching device drivers from obscure sites, trying to upgrade the system board bios, which in the end destroyed my motherboard. Buy a cheap new network card if you can't transfer the old NIC.

11. hendri

hendri New Member

hi,
    The DFE538TX is defect and I am now by installing new ubuntu from 0 and than I will make copy manually the data into new system... :eek:
    It is now by "apt-get upgrade" and it will take 2 days for new install through internet... :cool: