1mysql server + 2dns servers each inc mail servers?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Jonathon Gilbert, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Jonathon Gilbert

Jonathon Gilbert Member HowtoForge Supporter

HI guys,
    thanks for all your advice thus far.
    i just want to run something past you...
    im wanting to setup a hosted combined mail and dns server as well as an onsite combined dns and mail server.
    sync would be great but not essential as the onsite will be the failover mail server as that my users can still send and receive emails if there is ever an issue with the hosted system.

any recommendations before i spend the next 7 days trial and error.

i run centos 7.3 and can work my way around minor differences between that and debian.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Jonathon Gilbert

i expect the outcome to be along the lines of

hosted - ns1.domain.co.nz 192.168.1.1
    local - ns2.domain.co.nz 192.168.1.2
    hosted - mail1.domain.co.nz 192.168.1.1 priority 10
    local - mail2.domain.co.nz 192.168.1.2 priority 20

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please note that all services of a server get mirrored in case you want to use mirroring in that setup, so when you have dns and mail on a server and choose mirroring, then dns and mail will get mirrored and not just dns or email. Beside that, having a dns and mail server is no problem, you are free to choose which services or combination of services you are using on a system in ISPConfig.

4. Jonathon Gilbert

so with mirrored would it still work as two dns servers? ns1 and ns2? as the configuration would still the same just the IPs would be different.

5. till

You can use mirroring for dns, but it will mirror email too. Or you don't use mirroring and create the master zone in ispconfig on ns1 and add a slave zone on ns2 in dns manager, the slave zone will get synced then automatically after initial creation without requiring mirror mode.

As a personal node, I won't use CentOS as operating system, lots of old software and much more painful to install and you will get more issues on the long run and a less stable system compared to Debian and Ubuntu ISPConfig servers.

6. Jonathon Gilbert

ok well im not against going to debian. iv just now build \ rebuild centos so many times i can do it relatively quickly.
    is there a guide for what your recommending? or something to point me further in the right direction? as that does sound like the better option. and worst comes to worst i can setup a hosted database and have both systems connecting to it. as my client has failover internet so never actually goes down.... although... thinking of that the site IP would change if the lost internet on their main connection. and thus it wouldnt sync anyway. i think keeping the systems separate would be good but if i can be syncing the dns settings at least that would be helpful but really... i can simply set the up as seperate systems at this point and it would work the way i want them to without any sync.

7. Jonathon Gilbert

the fetch mail option would be perfect if it worked fetching to and from the same domains. i have tested this before and the recieving domain had to be different form the originating domain in order for it to work. however that was a 3.1setup to a 3.0 setup

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. till

If you're familiar with CentOS and it's problems and know how to work around them, then stick with CentOS. The Multiserver guides are written for Debian, but it should be fairly easy to adapt them to centOS, just use the perfect server guide for CentOS and pick the chapters you need.

9. till

Yes, the getmail application probably requires that the target address is different from source address.

10. Jonathon Gilbert

have you come accross anything similar that would do that? or is it not really a thing? kind of like an overnight or half hourly imap sync

11. till

You can try to set up an ispconfig mirror which uses dovecot sync, see ispconfig mirror tutorial.