2 Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Damien, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Damien

Damien New Member

Hi we party of the univerostu of plymouth computer soceiety (www.termisoc.org) we would love to use ISP config but have 2 questions

1. we already have website running wiht no control panel. Is there an easy way to move people data and info over and into ISPCONFIG

2. some of our user like using shell/SSH to do think via command lines rather than a GUI interface. Could they still do this even if we where using ISPCOFIG

many thanks

Damien

2. n1kol1s

n1kol1s New Member

for the first question , i dont think there is an easy way to transfer sites but for your secont question there is a tick box in ispconfig when you create sites that permits shell access..
    i hope that helps.

3. Damien

Damien New Member

and will they be able to create subdomains, email database ect ect via shell acess

also is that shell acess via ISPcofig or can thier access it via a 3rd party cleint like putty

4. Damien

Damien New Member

can people have websites outside of ISpcofig?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It's a normal SSH login, so you can use PuTTY or whatever SSH client you prefer. :)

That should be done using ISPConfig, otherwise it's possible you mess up your system if you use two means (ISPConfig and manual administration) of configuration.

Yes, but you should know what you're doing, i.e., you should be experienced on the shell and know how to configure Apache.

6. Damien

Damien New Member

so for people who know what they are doing with shell could have thier website outside of ISPCONFIG. If we already have website running could we install ISPCONFIG and leave those website running fine outside of ISPCONFIG

also the bit about creating databases, email ect via command lid conflicts with what is said in this thread http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5289

many thanks

damien

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can add databases, system users etc on the command line, but it is not recommendeed because these changes are outside of the Control of ISPConfig and will not be visible in the ISPConfig interface.