2FA Authentication with authenticator like keepassxc

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by pvanthony, Jul 10, 2023.

Tags:
  1. pvanthony

pvanthony Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Currently the 2FA is working with email.
    Can I setup the 2FA with an authenticator like keepassxc or freeotp or google authenticator?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is only email 2fa implemented. You can generally use any 2fa method you like, but this requires implementing it in ISPConfig 2fa code first.

30uke likes this.
  3. pvanthony

Thank you for the reply.
    I understand. Hopefully in the future it will be implemented.
    When I saw the text "Enter the code you got from your authenticator app or via email." I was hoping.

Th0m likes this.
  4. 30uke

30uke Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is it possible to find and use the secret that is used to generate the codes? If that's possible, I could copy/paste the secret into Bitwarden or type it into the authenticator app on my mobile phone. That would mean that I will still receive an email - but already know the required code. Not sure if it works that way - but that would be good enough for me :)

5. pvanthony

For me too.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The verification code that is sent via email is a random number stored in the session which expires after a short time, so you can not use an authenticator app to generate it as it's completely randomized.