3 VPS and ISPconfig

Discussion in 'General' started by chaserswe, Feb 25, 2016.

1. chaserswe

chaserswe New Member

hello, i thinking of getting 3 VPS
    what is the best way to setup them?

server1: 512 RAM, 20HDD
    server2&3: 1G RAM, 30HDD

i was thinking like this: 1 = mail - 2: DNS (Primary), WEB, FTP - 3: DNS (secendary), DB, FTP
    is that possible? :) to have 2 server share the storage between them? if you guys get it :p

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

512 MB ram is not enough for a mail server that runs antivirus and spam filters like an ispconfig server. Better use server1 for DNS as that uses not much ram.

To use the automatic mirroring of services in ispconfig, the master server and its mirror have to run the same services, so you wont be able to mirror dns automatically with the way you plan to split the services at the moment, with your setup you would have to create a primary dns record on the dns master and a secondary dns record on the dns slave, further mirroring will be automatic then.

3. ressel

ressel Member

I would go for 1 more server, for DNS.
    And maybe do something like this.
    server1: 512 RAM, 20HDD - dns1
    server2: 512 RAM, 20HDD - dns2
    server3: 1G RAM, 30HDD - web, db, ftp, webmail
    server4: 1G RAM, 30HDD - mail

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i think some very important points may have been assumed as taken into account by the specs given but haven't actually been asked yet.

how many websites are you planning to host on the server? how busy are those sites likely to be? you've already mentioned sharing storage between servers. for what reason? multiple servers spreading the load, ie scalability, or for a service still being available if one server fails, ie, high-availability. or both.
    for shared storage, what controls write access? you can do this between two servers directly using something like DRBD, you could have another server serving storage via NFS with two web servers mounting the nfs share.

if you can only go to 3 vps's i would suggest making the 512Mb one an nfs server, and give that a larger drive.
    the other two, i would install all the services on, with the data being on the mounted nfs share(s)
    (you could create separate shares for website files and mail folders)

this gives you the option of separating the services out later, and gives you redundancy and load-balancing options.
    you could put a small load balancer in front of the servers (elb on aws, haproxy for a small linux vps)

this way also gives you the option of adding another NFS server later on, syncing the data between them, increasing redundancy.
    with a floating ip (keepalived/heartbeat) between the nfs servers to provide high-availability of the data.

5. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

And don't forget that DNS servers should be in different physical locations like at least on another subnet but better in another state or country.

6. chaserswe

chaserswe New Member

well, it's not a big project, just to host some files for myself, and it's about 3-4 domain with mails (5-20 mails a/day total) not heavy use just for private use, so the budget is not that large :)
    and i would say i use it most to playaround with to learn a thing or two :p

7. lnxgs

lnxgs Member

Hi,
    probably it is better to consolidate everything on a single server with 2 or 3 GB RAM.
    A single DNS on the single server. could be enough as you have no redundancy for mail or webserver.