32 or 64bit?

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by Chad, May 2, 2007.

1. Chad

Chad New Member

What's a better version to install, 32bit or 64bit - overall? I do have Core 2 duo which is 64bit obviously, but is there any minor/major downside to 64bit?

One, I noticed plugins for firefox - not all common ones work in 64bit.

Would I notice any difference in performance overall? If yes, please provide examples (situations, software, etc)

2. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Preferably go with 64 bit. It will run faster and if you have the applications that can support it go for it!

3. nixen

nixen New Member

have macromedia flash problems with 64bit os?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

As far as I know, there's no Flash Player available for 64bit distros... :(

5. punk0mi

punk0mi New Member

You can just run the 32 bit version of Firefox instead of the 64 bit....that way all the plug-ins should work. I have been using 32 and 64 bit browsers and really can't tell a difference.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you do not have more then 3GB Ram, then use the 32Bit version of the linux distribution.

7. Mark_Smith

Mark_Smith New Member

Yes, a better version is 64 bit. I have Laptop ACER, AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK36 2.0 GHz and 64 bit is the better version for me.

8. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

if you haven't much experience go with 32bit first.... or you could dual boot, one with 32bit and one with 64bit...

There are some stuff that's still a pain getting it to work in 64bit - hence my recommendation to start with 32bit to get to know your way around.