4000 bounced email in one hour

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbound, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Hellbound

Hellbound New Member

hi guys
    since yesterday I had email problem so I was keep sending email for test purpose, I don't think the total was more than 200 email.
    however today I could fix it after all by putting the correct hostname but now one of my box keep receive this email for more than 4000 times in last one hour:

Code:
    This is the Postfix program at host host2.persiasys.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<[email protected]>: Host or domain name not found. Name
        service error for name=localhost.localdomain type=A: Host not found

Reporting-MTA: dns; host2.persiasys.com
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 51EEA18A877C
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
    Arrival-Date: Sun,  7 Jan 2007 17:08:07 +0800 (MYT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Host or domain name not found. Name service error
        for name=localhost.localdomain type=A: Host not found

Subject:  	Mailsize: web6_root
    Sender:  	S. Mohammad add
    Recipient:  	undisclosed-recipients:;
    Date:  	Today 10:08

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please add localhost.localdomain at the end of the file /etc/postfix/local-host-names on your server and restart postfix. Make also sure that localhost.localdomain points to the IP 127.0.0.1 in your /etc/hosts file.

3. Hellbound

Hellbound New Member

thanks for the reply
    I've added that, no I can receive email with no problem.

but there is small problem.
    the email in roundcube shows up as : [email protected] instead of [email protected]

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You must set the correct sender address in Roundcube, just as you do in every other email client.

5. friday

friday Member

I just experienced this today on an email server that has ran flawlessly for nearly 2 years. About 4000 bounced emails, and many of those replies being copied to many email boxes on our email server.

Really. Really. Weird.

Added this above fix, and it seemed to have worked. I just have to know. What gave or broke?

Two years of being good. Then... BAM! 4000 emails being bounced. All having the same "[email protected] name service for name localhost.localdomain type=AAAA: Host not found" message.

Was someone in my network being naughty? Do I need to ram their mouse and keyboard up their "you-know-what" for making me research this issue?

6. iratik

iratik New Member

ISPConfig Flooding System with E-Mails

I'm getting emails every second on the local machine to [email protected]ldomain. I realize ispconfig uses this to send mail traffic statistics to itself. The problem is.. I don't have ispconfig.

I uninstalled ispconfig over a month ago .. there are no cron jobs no admispconfig user... and there is no /home/admispconfig anymore.

In fact, the emails were continuing to be sent despite there being no admispconfig user, and since 5-6 were being sent every second, each one would create a failure notice, causing a cascade of errors that have flooded my logs and taken up significant resources on our server for weeks now.

Please let me know how to stop this automated process, if you cannot do that... can you tell me how this automated process works because it apparently does not use cron.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is built into the procmail recipes for every mail account. You should have deleted every website and mailuser before you have deleted ispconfig.

So to stop this, remove the procmail recipes in the home directory from every user on your server.

8. iratik

iratik New Member

Procmail Local Mail Flooding

Here is what i did to hopefully fix the issue . The server where ispconfig was installed was a production server. As much as I would like to say that I had a redundant setup where i could take this machine down and have all our production domains stay up without interuption, I do not.
    There was no way I could consider deleting all the websites and mail directories.
    The ispconfig removal script gave me the choice of removing all the sites and ispconfig, or just removing ispconfig. I chose to only remove ispconfig.

Here is my solution (the commands prefixed with : are vim commands)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

locate .procmailrc > ~/tmp/procmailrc_locations
    vim ~/tmp/procmailrc_locations
    :%s/^\(.*\)$/cat \1 | sed -e 's\/^INCLUDERC\/## INCLUDERC\/' > \1
    :w
    :!bash ~/tmp/procmailrc_locations
    locate .mailsizerc | xargs rm