403 after installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by phil123456, Sep 18, 2015.

1. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

Hello everyone,

[Debian 7 Apache 2.2 PHP 5.4.45]

after installing ispconfig with the default options, I get a 403 trying to access it (sorry cant paste the link on this forum)
    I use https, and port 8080

but it seems the apache ssl config is not blocking acces

Code:
    <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
    <VirtualHost _default_:443>
       ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/www
       <Directory />
         Options FollowSymLinks
         AllowOverride None
       </Directory>
       <Directory /var/www/>
         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         allow from all
       </Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
       <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
         AllowOverride None
         Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
       </Directory>

/etc/group
    Code:
    ispapps:x:5003:www-data
    ispconfig:x:5004:www-data,apache
    apache:x:5005:

anyh idea what I could do to solve this ?

thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you follow the apache perfect server tutorial to the letter for the install?

Take a look at the apache error.log.

3. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

I followed this one

https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p5

except for the squirell mail cos I use postfix (besides, the ispconfig complained postfix was missing, so it definetely uses it)
    and I pressed enter to leave the default options during the ISP install script

apache error log says something like " user has been refused by config: /var/www"
    I tried on debian 8, i dont have the same error, but I cant get the admin page, it just shows default apache index page

I dont get it, this seemed so simple to do

4. till

Squirrelmail is a webmail client and postfix is an mta, so thats not the same. When ispconfig complained that postfix is not there then postfix is most likely not installed correctly.

Ensure that you use port 8080 and not port 80 to access the admin page and that you have mod_fcgi installed as descrbed in the tutorial.

It is absolutely easy. The perfect server tutorials are blind copy/paste tested. We ask someone who never used Linux before to install a server by using the guide and let him simply copy/ paste all commands and only if this results in a working server the tutorial gets published. The problems arise when users think that they know Linux better and want to "improve" the tutorial which then results in non-working installations.

E.g. I used the Debian 7 tutorial on Friday to install a server, I'am lazy so I don't even read the text and simply copy / paste the commands and the resulting system worked out f the box.

5. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

(I access it with https ip:8080)

I am curently following this one www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p4

but yet there are stuf I dont need or even stuff I never heard of also it asks to intall thing that dont make no sense to me

why install BIND ?? I though ISPconfig was supposed to be installed on each web server + all boxes will have static ips and dont serve any dns protocol....

not mentioning the tons of other packages it says I have to install (eg. for apache), I dont even know what these do, if they are mandatory or optional

also do I have to install Quota ? can I use the good old ftp server (vftp?) or is pureftp mandatory ?
    so I have to install squirell, mailman and postfix ? I just need a simple mail server, no client here, it's a web box
    I skipped the XCache part cos I definetely dont want php code to be cached, we add issues with that in the past (lost 2 days of prod)

so I hope this time it will work

6. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

do I really need all these for it to work ?
    Vlogger, Webalizer, And AWstats, Clamav ...
    I chose debian cos it only installs bear minimum, but now I am cluttering the os with thousands of things I never used

7. till

The perfect server guides describe the system requirements for ISPConfig, so with each package you leave out you will loose one or more functions in ISPConfig and it can be that the whole panel won't even show up anymore as you found out yourself already.

You have 2 options:

a) Follow the guide to the letter and you will have a fully working system in 15 - 20 minutes.
    2) Leave out software as you think you know it better and have a non working system.

It's your choice.

8. till

You can leave out awstats from the ones above.

9. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

ok, last question
    as I use a VM, is it allright to first install vmware tools ?
    cos I could use the copy paste feature, I did not install vmware tools this time cos I was afraid it interfered with ispconfig

10. till

sure.

you can always use copy past, just connect with an ssh client from your windows / mac or Linux desktop.

11. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

fyi : also one thing is missing in the procedure, for some strange reason, the /sbin, /usr/sbin paths are not in the path after install so a small export is needed (checked the web and I am not the only one having this issue, although it should be set by debian install)

12. till

It is not missing when you install a normal system from Debian CD or DVD https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/debian-7-wheezy-minimal-server/, so not sure what you used as basis for your server or what you uninstalled. I've used this guide on many servers already that used base installs of providers from all around the worls and the path was always set correctly on Debian.

13. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

14. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

also, I dont see why I should have a squirell web client on my web server (one of my friend who introduced me to ispconfig also had the same issue and foud a way to avoid using that, I'll ask him)

15. till

I used that as well to write the tutorials. The last time I did this install was last Friday and there were no changes required in the tutorial.

16. till

You can leave out squirrelmail if your server shall not have support for webmail. The webmail links in ispconfig for the mailboxes won't work then. off course.

17. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

yes, it works

thanks for your patience mate ;-)

18. phil123456

phil123456 New Member

btw why does the mysql instance need to listen every adress ?