403 errors post upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Server Room, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Server Room

Server Room New Member

I recently upgraded both debian to 8.4 and ispconfig to 3.0.5.4p9.
    Everything existing works fine, however if I create a new website I get 403 errors on every request.

The error log shows
    30 17:54:02.463751 2016] [access_compat:error] [pid 10953] [client 2.26.45.1:51424] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /var/www/example.co.uk/web/

[Sat Apr 30 17:54:02.463834 2016] [access_compat:error] [pid 10953] [client 2.26.45.1:51424] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /var/www/example.co.uk/web/error/403.html

The directory permissions are correct web and client 755

Any advice much appreciated.

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

from what did you upgrade? Debian Wheezy?

3. Server Room

Server Room New Member

So going from apache 2.2 to 2.4 has caused me all sorts of headaches. Firstly the change in security directives. I followed a guide on updating from linnode (I cannot paste links here). In order to fix this I refreshes the websites however this broke all sites because, apache 2.4 requires the sites-available to end in tld.conf, whereas ispconfig outputs tld.vhost. Is there a way to amend the output template so that the correct format is used?
    Also does ispconfig use a2ensite to install the sites or simply create a simlink from /etc/apache2/sites-enabled to /etc/apache2/sites-enables

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

you could have just let the services reconfigure and it would have changed .htaccess accordingly.... to require all granted and stuff... but the conf.d / conf-available / conf-enabled is a bit of a pain with 2.4

5. Server Room

Server Room New Member

For the time being I've modified the vhost template to change from '.vhost' to '.conf'. Any idea how its managed in the new 3.1 version?

6. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

If you upgrade from debian 7 to debian 8, you must update ispconfig with "reconfigure services". login into ispconfig, go to tools and resync the websites. this will update the syntax to apache 2.4.

7. Server Room

Server Room New Member

I did use the reconfigure service option when updating! If the actual template has the old style syntax in what does reconfigure service do?

8. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

"reconfigure service" rewrites the vhost for the websites while reconfigure services during the update rewrites the vhost for ispconfig.

9. ChristianC123

ChristianC123 New Member

Please Update Ipconfig with reconfigure.services. and resync

Regards,
    Christian
    clouddesktoponline.com

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017